Highlighting doesn't always sort -- Borders never do

Mike Welch

Board Regular
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi all - I'm trying to sort an Excel 2003 workbook where some of the cells are highlighted and a few have single cell borders. The sorts are simple alpha or numeric ASC or DESC - nothing fancy.

Sometimes the highlighted cells move with the data during the sort but othertimes the data move and the highlight stays with the cell (not the data). The cell borders always remain with the cell and don't sort with the data. I want the highlights and borders to always and only sort with its associated data.

Any thoughts?

Mike Excel 2003 / Win XP Pro

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Borders will never sort. I'm not sure how you'd get around that without a macro, but it hardly seems worth it (of course you may have a very good reason!!)

Cell colours should ALWAYS sort with the data. Do you have conditional formatting set on any of these cells, that might account for cell colours changing.

Upvote 0
I'll have to look into whether that region of the sheet has color-specific Condtitional Formatting ... it might. I'll ceertainly keep it in mind next time I see it occur - thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back