Highlighting text to see what is says

gchick

How do I do the following

Is there a way to keep text hidden or unreadable; the only way to see it being to highlight the text area?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi,

Is this an excel question?
If you mean that selecting the cells may make them readable, than apply the same format to text and background.
If you mean that even selecting the cells may not make the content visible, then apply the format ;;; (3 ";")

kind regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
I was actually looking for how to do this in Word...but I will file away the tip for how to do it in excel.

Upvote 0
put text in textbox
when you select the text within the textbox, you will see it

else have a play with "GotFocus" and "LostFocus" and change the forecolor by code

Code:
Private Sub TextBox1_GotFocus()
TextBox1.ForeColor = vbBlack
End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_LostFocus()
TextBox1.ForeColor = vbWhite
End Sub

if you tell a bit why you are using this, somebody might get more ideas

Upvote 0
Hi gchick,

Here's two ways for Word:
1. Select a piece of text and insert a hyperlink to it and insert your message as the tip text
2. replace a piece of text with an Autotext field and insert your hidden message as the tip text. Code the field along the lines of:
Code:
{AutoTextList "replaced text" \s NoStyle \t "Put the hidden message here"}
In both cases, your hidden text will only display while the mouse hovers over the hyperlink/autotext. With the autotext approach, be aware that the 'display text' will disappear from the field code once it's updated and gets added to your autotext entries. The advantage is that it doesn't get the usual hyperlink formatting.

Another way you could hide some text is by placing it inside a SET field in the header/footer. For example, if you create a SET field coded as:
Code:
{SET _Hidden "This is the hidden message"}
Your message will only be retrievable by toggling the field code display, or inserting a cross-reference to it (and that '_' in the field keeps the bookmark hidden from view unless to user is savvy enough to select the 'show hidden bookmarks' option under Insert|Bookmark). Putting the field into the Header/Footer minimises the risk of it being deleted.

Yet another way is to define a custom document property to hold your hidden text (via File|Properties|Custom), which would then be accessed via Insert|Field > DOCPROPERTY.

None of these specifically hides a text string in-line with other text in the document (for which formatting the text with the same colour as the background will do), but all allow different ways to 'hide' and 'retrieve' text in a document.

Cheers

Upvote 0
formatting the text with the same colour as the background will do
Hi, Macropod,

Does it work for you to make the Text "white"? When I select that, I do not see anything.

best regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Hi erik,

Sorry, I omitted an important bit - after 'whitening' the text, you need to either change its color or the background color for it to show up.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back