Hlookup formula trouble

Willmonbo

Board Regular
I need to have the months of the year arranged in different ways for different employees, meaning , every employee has their year start at the month of hire, so at cell A1:A12 I have the months of the year and in A1 I have a data validation list of all months of the year residing at Z1:Z12 (which I named MonthList) and I did the following formula in cell A2

=IF(A1=Z12,Z1,HLOOKUP(A1,MonthList,MATCH(A1,MonthList,0)+1))

I intended to copy this formula down to all cells till A12, but so far the formula in A2 works well when I select some months from the data validation drop down list in A1 but does not work with other months and I can't figure out what causes it to behave the way it does.

I'll appreciate any suggestion as to why this doesn't work as well as any suggestion as to how I can do it differently, thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Have you tried simply linking to the cell containing their start date?
=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1)

(unless I've completely misunderstood what you're trying to do!)

Upvote 0
I am not too familiar with the Month function but I just tried it the way you wrote out the formula and it returns a #value error, any suggestions?

thanks for your help

Upvote 0
Which cell contains the employee start date and is it an actual date (i.e 01/01/10) rather than text (i.e "Jan")

Upvote 0
the actual start date is not in excel I am simply trying to build a utility that i can use to run some calculations but it's important to this that I can start the year at any month, so I just created a list of months and pointed cell A1 to do a data validation to the list of months.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back