Rhothgar

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I'm stuck on a spreadsheet on which I have managed to get VLOOKUP to work on one range. I'm made up that I've managed to get that to work but it's one basic piece of the jigsaw.
I cannot get xl2bb to work either so cannot snapshot the spreadsheet.
I want to be able to enter a weight in cell Q3 (currrently shown as 0.25kg in Q3 but might be 0.87 or 1.35, etc) and it check the range G3:K3 say by looking at the range in G2:K2 and then return either 8.64 for 0.25kg, 11.74 for 0.87kg or 13.74 for 1.35kg.
I want to be able to copy it into each row below Row 3 where 0.25 is currently entered and it come up with the correct result for the data in each row. So if I type 0.75 in Row 8, it will return 10.09 in Column R.
I think this makes sense. If unclear, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

PS Managed to get correct figure for insurance working as per Insurance Values screenshot using =VLOOKUP($K$35,$H$38:$I$117, 2, FALSE) in cell K38.
Insurance Table.jpg is actually base price of postage and not insurance for clarity.

Attachments

• Insurance Table.JPG
    Insurance Table.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 10
  • insurance value.JPG
    insurance value.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Well. I have managed to get it to work but I do not think I am using the best solution.
In cell R3 for instance, I have =HLOOKUP(Q3,$G$2:$K$29,2,TRUE)
in cell R4, I have =HLOOKUP(Q3,$G$2:$K$29,3,TRUE)
in cell R5, I have =HLOOKUP(Q3,$G$2:$K$29,4,TRUE)

and so on.
So the row_index_num had to be manually altered on every line as fill down didn't work.
If I needed to move the equation in Column R to another location, it clearly doesn't work because the row behave differently to a VLOOKUP it seems ie a column is a column.

I can work with it for now but there must be a better solution.

Upvote 0
Just come to the realisation that there is an issue with this method.
If I enter 0.36 in cell Q3, cell R3 reports 8.64 when it should select the 8.94 band because 0.36 is between 0.25 and 0.5.
I cannot work out how to do this, can some clever bod please advise?
TIA

Upvote 0
See if this gives you any ideas:
Note:
If you want the next largest item if the value is inbetween you might need a column with a higher value to catch everything exceeding 2.
Its worth getting XL2BB working, post a thread on what is not working if you need to. You will generally get a better response rate if you provide and XL2BB.

20230213 XLookup or HLookup Rhothgar.xlsx
GHIJKLMNOPQRS
20.250.50.7512WeightPrince
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
R3:R5R3=XLOOKUP(Q3,$G$2:$K$2,$G3:$K3,"",1)

Upvote 1
Solution
=XLOOKUP(Q3,$G$2:$K$2,$G3:$K3,"",1)
WOW! That is absolutely incredible.
I nearly mentioned XLOOKUP but never investigated it as I had enough on my plate trying to understand HLOOKUP and VLOOKUP using Microsoft's Help facility.
I could really do with trying to expand my understanding of Excel.
I used to be quite good with it or so I thought. That was back in the early 1990's though and it's not something I used every day.

Upvote 0
Do you know of an idiot's guide that is any good? One where the explanations are simple to understand and potentially graphic like this...

Attachments

• VLOOKUP Reference Card.JPG
    VLOOKUP Reference Card.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
And one further question if I may? What does the " " represent in your code please?
Is it the if_not_found argument (if that's the right word)?
The Microsoft site doesn't seem to make any reference to what " " means in this function.
EDIT! I've found it. It simply means it returns TEXT written within it but in this case it is invalid unless I go over the 2kg mark. I say invalid but I can now write something in there should I think it is relevant but it is clearly very good practice to maintain syntax and I am guessing that is EXACTLY why you included it.
Thank you ever so much. You've made my day!

Upvote 0
Haha glad to hear it.
Typically you don't put a space between the quotes and it is referred to as an empty string, there is no option for a formula to return an actual blank cell.
When you use VLookup or HLookup and a value is Not Found they return #N/A, to avoid that the VLookup or HLookup can be wrapped in an IFERROR.
eg =IFERROR(Vlookp_Function, ""). So the if the VLookup returns #N/A it will return what what comes after the comma, commonly this is an empty string but it can be Text, a Number or even another function such as an alternative lookup.
XLookup has this functionality built into the function.

Upvote 1
Haha glad to hear it.
Typically you don't put a space between the quotes and it is referred to as an empty string, there is no option for a formula to return an actual blank cell.
When you use VLookup or HLookup and a value is Not Found they return #N/A, to avoid that the VLookup or HLookup can be wrapped in an IFERROR.
eg =IFERROR(Vlookp_Function, ""). So the if the VLookup returns #N/A it will return what what comes after the comma, commonly this is an empty string but it can be Text, a Number or even another function such as an alternative lookup.
XLookup has this functionality built into the function.
My only issue now is some following cells, if I enter a figure greater than 2 give an #N/A because they rely on the reported data in this cell.
Finally got XL2BB reinstalled and working. Just need to read up how to use it...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back