Holy crap!!

rlleblan

I just finished doing a 4 sheet workbook with all types of references and calculation. Alot of the sheets react and change according to 2 drop down lists and basic assumptions on state averages and commission that are built into the sheets. My boss now wants people to be able to change these assumtions if they feel them to be incorrect. I do not want to redo everything. How can I just add a couple of boxes to the sheet and if they input a change it will use those numbers instead of the assumptions?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Not sure I understand. Are you saying that your workbook has hardcoded data? (e.g. =A4*15 instead of =A4*A5 where A5 stores 15?)

If you don't have hardcoded values, this shouldn't be an issue at all... You'd just apply some cosmetic adjustments (maybe make the cells you're giving people reign over a light yellow color to draw attention to them) and maybe apply some sheet protection so the users can't change cells they're not supposed to.

If you *do* have hardcoded values, it will most likely be worth your time to redo the spreadsheet with references instead, as it sounds like this may go through a couple of iterations. Plus, it's much better practice anyway :)

Upvote 0
Give the users a place to input and...=if(input spots have data,use input spots,use assumptions)

Is it not that simple?

Upvote 0
on the surface maybe. This is my first major crack at a spreadsheet. I would not even know off hand the number of cells that utilize the information contained in the assumptive information cells. I have a copy that I can e-mail if that would help

Upvote 0
on the surface maybe. This is my first major crack at a spreadsheet. I would not even know off hand the number of cells that utilize the information contained in the assumptive information cells. I have a copy that I can e-mail if that would help
Go for it, I'm slow at work right now

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back