Horizontal Bar Chart Axis Question

nataliek92

I have a simple bar chart in excel 2010. Sorry I can't post a picture of the chart at the moment. The data included in my chart comes from the below table :
Supplied Data Levels
Forename
Surname
D.O.B
House Num
Postcode
Valid Phone Number
Benchmark
0%
100%
0%
100%
100%
55%
Today
0%
100%
0%
100%
100%
62%

<tbody>
</tbody>

My vertical (y) axis shows the categories (forename, surname, etc) and my horizontal (x) axis shows the % levels. The use of a horizontal bar chart is just personal choice as I think it looks better in my report.

I would like the categories on the y axis to be in the order as above, from top to bottom. i.e. "Forename" at the top to "Valid Phone Number" at the bottom. It's quite annoying that excel places them from bottom to top. Anyway, I know how to do this, by choosing Axes -> Vertical axis -> Show right to left axis.

But this then puts my x axis at the top of the chart! Is there any way I can move it to the bottom?

Help!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi Natalie

Try this:

Right-click on the Y axis->Format Axis...->Axis Options, click on the "Categories in Reverse Order" checkbox.

Upvote 0
1. In a horizontal bar chart in Excel, the vertical axis is the X axis, and the horizontal axis is the Y axis. The rationale is that the X axis is always the independent axis, and it's vertical in this chart type.

2. Format the vertical axis (double click on it) and where it says "Horizontal Axis Crosses", choose "At Maximum Category".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back