How can I find what sub/process in excel that cause the CPU to go deadly high?

dikken20

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Excel 2010, Win7 64bit here.

I'm using excel specifically to run my worksheet. I barely use it for other files.
During time, adding sub here, changing some other definitions there.. adding more and more sheets to the file - all the sudden I found Excel running very high CPU and causing my Laptop heating and freezing.
I cannot use it normally to run my job. It just masses the entire laptop.
My laptop is not new, it's actually like 8 years old or so, yet, it did run just fine a couple of months ago.

I tried to remove some some of the new VBA code added during the past months, nothing changed and situation just the same :(
When opening the VBA window I notice that it shows "running" very fast.. which cause me conclude that something trigger the code to calculate it too often but am not sure what trigger that..

How can I find what is causing this running/calculating process that make me laptop freeze/heat?

Last edited:
According to this document here: Circular reference in Excel: how to find, enable, use, or remove, the feature which locates circular references will not work if iterative calculations are turned on. So you will need to turn that off first to find them.
I know I tried with and without this feature turned on and off and it just look disabled.
Few times it shown like it's on and when I pressed the arrow to se what cells in there - it was just empty. Have you heard of some other way to find these circular cells ?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I really have not run into too many of them in my line of work. I did a Google Search, and found this here: How to Find and Fix Circular References in Excel
Check out the "2) Using Status Bar" option, and see if that helps at all.
Oh yea, now I see it..
It does not show them all in a list but just one by one... omg it's way too many of them.
Still it's located on one of the first sheets I built when it still didn't have the heating problem. Yet, it's a good start I think.
OK I'll try to figure out from here, Thank you so much for your patient, time and help!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back