How can I merge multiple CSV files into a single Excel worksheet?

rmbmst1972

Hello...My name is Robert, and I am trying to discover a way for me to merge multiple CSV files into a single Excel worksheet? I don't want the merged files to appear as tabs on the bottom of the new worksheet. I simply want the data for each file to be stacked on top of each other. For example, Let's say I have the following 5 CSV files:

CSV 1 contains the words blue, orange, red, purple, magenta, white, gray, brown in the first row.
CSV 2 contains the words blue, orange, red, purple, magenta, white, gray, brown in the second row.
CSV 3 contains the words blue, orange, red, purple, magenta, white, gray, brown in the third row.
CSV 4 contains the words blue, orange, red, purple, magenta, white, gray, brown in the fourth row.
CSV 5 contains the words blue, orange, red, purple, magenta, white, gray, brown in the fifth row.

I want the merged file to look like the following:

blue orange red purple magenta white gray brown

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I apologize if this is a silly question.
Is it practical to just open the files and do a quick copy-paste?

Very Respectfully,
Bratamoli

PS - Would the new file need to consistently update based on the old ones, or would the old files be garbage once the new file is created?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a school teacher who has a test-generating program that exports assessment results data to CSV files. I teach five classes, and there is a lot of data to be displayed for each of my almost 140 students. I don't mind copying and pasting. However, I'd rather copy-paste one file for all of my 5 classes versus copying and pasting each of my 5 classes. I will be less annoyed with having a VBA that will produce my desired results with only having to perform 1 copy-paste for all of my 5 classes at the same time.

Upvote 0
I apologize if this is a silly question.
Is it practical to just open the files and do a quick copy-paste?

Very Respectfully,
Bratamoli

PS - Would the new file need to consistently update based on the old ones, or would the old files be garbage once the new file is created?

Bratamoli...I almost forgot to mention to you the old files will be garbage once the newly merged file is created.

Robert

Upvote 0
You could put this in cell A1 of the finished product:
Code:
=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Book1]Sheet1!A1)),[Book1]Sheet1!A1,IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Book2]Sheet1!A1)),[Book2]Sheet1!A1,IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Book3]Sheet1!A1)),[Book3]Sheet1!A1,IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Book4]Sheet1!A1)),[Book4]Sheet1!A1,IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Book5]Sheet1!A1)),[Book5]Sheet1!A1,"")))))
Then drag it across the top row as far as you need to, then down however many rows you need.

It basically says for each of the 5 workbooks (in order): "If this cell is not blank, use whatever is there; otherwise, check the next workbook. If this cell is blank in all 5 workbooks, leave it blank here."
The only issue I see arising would be if the same cell of two different workbooks both have something in it, then one of the two data-points will be lost.

[Edit]
Oh! Another possible issue. I do not know if all the data in each workbook is on one sheet or if each workbook has multiple sheets.
Also, after your done, I would suggest copying the entire sheet and pasting values. (or possibly something about [F9] might do that or something, but I'm not very clear on that one; I just do the copy/paste-values thing any time I need results to be static)
[End Edit]

Do you think this works for what you need it for?
If not, let me know what you think would go wrong with it, and I will try to update it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back