How can I perform a "Text to columns and Transpose" for a variable # of columns?

eduardo_v

Hello, thanks in advance for your help.

I have data exported from Outlook in 3 columns: To (address), To (display), and To (address type)

I want to do a text-to-columns and transpose such that each address (separated by a ";" in all three columns) gets it's own row. Easy enough to do if all rows contained the same number of addresses/names, but they range from about 1 to 10 addresses per row.

Here's what it looks like now.

Sample:
To (address)To (display)To (address type)
first.last@email.comFirst LastSMTP
/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first1_l1First1 Last1EX
first2.last2@email.com;/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first3_l3;First2 Last2;First3 Last3SMTP;EX
/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first1_l1;first5.last5@email.com;/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first2_l2First4 Last4;First5 Last5;First6 Last6EX;SMTP;EX
etcetcEX;SMTP;EX
etcetcEX;SMTP;EX;EX;EX;EX
etcetcEX;SMTP;EX;EX;EX;EX;EX
etcetcEX;SMTP;SMTP
etcetc(and many other combinations and lengths)

<tbody>
</tbody>

And I want the result to look like this, 3 columns with one address, display, and type per row:

To (address)To (display)To (address type)
first.last@email.comFirst LastSMTP
/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first1_l1First1 Last1EX
first2.last2@email.comFirst2 Last2SMTP
/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first3_l3First3 Last3EX
/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHFgds23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=00ce82a2bcff4fe7a428733601c2994f-first4_l4First4 Last4EX
first5.last5@email.comFirst5 Last5SMTP
etcetcetc

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks again for your help! Let me know if you need more details.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Try this in a copy of your workbook. It assumes that data is in columns A:C & writes results to columns E:G.

Rich (BB code):
Sub RearrangeOutlookData()
  Dim a As Variant, b As Variant, bits As Variant
  Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, z As Long, lr As Long, ubb As Long, rws As Long

lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
  ubb = Evaluate(Replace("sumproduct(1+len(#)-len(substitute(#,"";"","""")))", "#", "C1:C" & lr))
  ReDim b(1 To ubb, 1 To 3)
  a = Range("A1:C" & lr).Value
  For i = 1 To lr
    rws = UBound(Split(a(i, 3), ";")) + 1
    For j = 1 To 3
      bits = Split(a(i, j), ";")
      For k = 1 To rws
        b(z + k, j) = bits(k - 1)
      Next k
    Next j
    z = z + rws
  Next i
  With Range("E1:G" & z)
    .Value = b
    .Columns.AutoFit
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back