How can I reset / repair a buggy DDE server without a system reboot?

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
I pull in real-time stock quotes via my broker's DDE Excel API, but I've been troubleshooting a really annoying bug where after a few dozen cycles of cancelling my existing data requests and RE-requesting a new batch of symbols (something my broker tells me is WELL within the capabilities of their API), only about 20% of the data cells populate (and in a really haphazard/random fashion). This happens several times / day and most annoyingly, the ONLY fix is a complete system reboot. Shutting down and re-opening Excel, my brokerage software, or both does not fix it.

Even if I can't figure out the root cause of it, what would nonetheless be extremely helpful is if I could figure out how to repair the DDE connection without an entire system reboot. I thought perhaps that I could identify the relevant process in my Task Manager and kill it -- essentially forcing Excel to establish a new/fresh/uncorrupted connection to the DDE server -- but I have no idea what it's called...I've been through every line and there's nothing that resembles anything related to 'excel', 'dde', 'api', my broker's software, etc. Is there any way to identify / kill / repair the DDE connection without rebooting my entire system?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back