How can I use a lookup command to find only an exact match

Sniper22

I run a fantasy hockey league and need to be able to use lookup to find only an exact match to a name. Currently I have to use a switch of some sort so that it doesn't return stats of a name thats close if the name I want to match isn't there.

Something like this to return Goals scored for a particular player:

=IF(($C5="A"),LOOKUP($A5,'Current Stats'!$A$1:$A$1000,'Current Stats'!$$D$1:$D$1000)," ")

Typing an "A" into the cells in column C is the manual switch I use, once I know a player is on the list, but there must be a way to only return an exact match and not something that's close to the lookup criteria.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If you can use the VLOOKUP formula instead, the last argument is for exact match (check it out in Excel help for details and examples).

Upvote 0
Thanks jm14,
I've tried this already. The problem is when the match isn't there, it returns an error, I want the cell to be just left blank when a match isn't found.

Upvote 0
Use the ISNA function, this returns a blank rather than an N/A, example formula below

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(G641,locations,3,FALSE))," ",(VLOOKUP(G641,locations,3,FALSE)))

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
It leaves the cell blank for names that don't match, but returns REF# for those that do instead of the number I want. Unless I'm doing something wrong (probably).

I'll layout a simple sheet to help me understand how this works.

on Sheet1 is the data

Col A Col B
Row 1 Player A 0
Row 2 Player B 2
Row 3 Player C 1

On Sheet2 is a list of players on teams
Col A Col B
Row 1 Player A 0
Row 2 Player D
Row 3 Player B 1

The formula on Sheet2 in Column B is to look up the players name on Sheet1 and returns the value from column B if it matches, otherwise it leaves it blank.

What would the formula look like?
Thanks

Upvote 0
OK I've got it.....Thanks alot for your help.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3,$A1,FALSE))," ",LOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$3))

I used Lookup for the 2nd part.....couldn't get Vlookup working for some reason.

Upvote 0
no problem , any other issues , drop me a line via my website hcab-excel-solutions.co.uk

If you send me your spreadsheet i will try and work out why the vlookup does not work correctly

Upvote 0
OK I've got it.....Thanks alot for your help.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3,$A1,FALSE))," ",LOOKUP($A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$3))

I used Lookup for the 2nd part.....couldn't get Vlookup working for some reason.

That sounds strange.

Is A1:B3 on Sheet1 sorted in ascending order on column A? And, if so, can you also maintain it sorted when new data is added?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back