How do I add custom, dynamic time period averages to Excel Pivot Table?

Rob R

I have an Excel worksheet that has Overtime (OT) data for each person in the company summarized per pay period. My objectives in Excel are as follows:

1. Show a current pay period summary of OT hours by department (sorted with most hours at top); If the solution is within the PivotTable it would be nice to ONLY show the current pay period (and applicable trend averages) if possible
2. Provide simple trend data (4 pay period AVG and YTD AVG) to make the current pay period data more relevant.
3. Make the analysis/tool/table easy to refresh by simply adding new rows to raw data; this will be provided to an HR admin so it must be user-friendly for updating every time period.

[Current Raw Data Screencap][1]
[1]:
u7kAE.jpg

[Current PivotTable Screencap][2] Note: Pay Period Numbers are columns.
[2]:
GEvOr.jpg

Ideally, the user could select the current pay period, and that would display the OT sum for the current pay period and the two averages mentioned above. From there, I would add conditional formatting to improve the UI for the managers/end users of the data.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I'm curious if anyone has insight on possibly using a Pivot Table Calculated Field to accomplish this. If I could ID the column of the current pay period and use the AVERAGE function with Current Week#[-1,-2,-3,-4], I could get my Four Period AVG. Perhaps I could do the same for YTD.

Is this type of formula (referencing a dynamic column selection) possible in a Calculated Field? Would it refresh properly when a new pay period (Week#) is added?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back