How do I change the color of the line in a line chart according to value?

stephenpoole4

I have a line chart that tracks "change per week."

Some weeks have negative values, some have positive values. Essentially, I want to specify parameters so that negative values are colored green, values near zero (possibly + or - 100) are orange, and positive values are red.

Is there a way to do this? My chart is a PivotChart, if that matters.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I don't think you can do that with a line chart without some VBA but without VBA you can get by using a stacked bar chart. You're going to need two value columns: One for the positive values and another one for the (minus) negative values ( = if you want your bars to go the same way you're going to have to show the negative values as positive values as well ). For three colors, you're going to need three columns etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. I wrote a tutorial, Conditional Formatting of Lines in an Excel Line Chart Using VBA, that shows how to do this with VBA.

2. You ought to consider a color scheme besides red and green, since 8% or so of the male population (and less than 0.5% of the female population) has color vision deficiencies that interfere with distinguishing between these colors. Blue and orange are generally color-vision-friendly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back