How Do I create 2 separate independent (Fill Color) buttons?

zotah

Board Regular
How Do I create 2 separate independent (Fill Color) buttons?

I need to highlight hundreds of indepentant excel cells and conditional formating isn't what I need to make this work. I just use the (Fill Color) button and it works great. However it slows me down having to switch different colors every time I use the (Fill Color) button over and over again. I use primarily 2 colors all the time.

When I duplicate the (Fill Color) button so I have 2 (Fill Color) buttons on my access toolbar it duplicates the same color that I have on the first (Fill Color) button.

How do I set it up so I can have 2 (Fill Color) buttons that are indepentent of each other so I don't have to switch colors back and forth over and over again?

Thanks for any advice on this hugh problem,

Zotah

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Why not simply hold down the CTRL key whil clicking on each cell, then select the colour you want.
It will then colour ALL selected cells
The do the other cells the same way

Upvote 0
You still haver to select the cells........why use an Addin or macro that replicates a native Excel function...:confused:

Upvote 0
I assume he is selecting many non continuous cells. Using ctrl you have to start over if you select a wrong cell. Using this add-in you can quickly change the colors of cells a few at a time quickly. It would most likely be best to have excel auto color the cells, but zotah has not asked for help with that.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...(y)

Upvote 0
Why not simply hold down the CTRL key whil clicking on each cell, then select the colour you want.
It will then colour ALL selected cells
The do the other cells the same way

The cells I determine the color for are related to the first colors I highlighted. So for example if I color 3 cells with yellow. The 3 yellow cells are what tell me that the 4th cell needs to be green. If I do let's say 500 cells yellow on different cells and then go back and do the rest green if will take me twice as long to find out which one's I need to figure out that are supposed to be green. In this way it's so much easier to just click them yellow and then click on another (Color Fill) to green.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is away to have 2 Color fill buttons indepentant of each other so I don't have to take the time each color to switch the colors back and forth and back and forth over and over again. It drives me crazy.

Zotah

Upvote 0
Why don't you determine what cells need to coloured yellow by criteria, and we could than possibly automate it for you !!!
In other words, why do you make that cell yellow ?.....
Is it below a certain number ?
Does it have a certain text ?
Is it Bold or underlined?

Any of these could trigger the cell to turn yellow

BTW
You do know you can drag the colour pallete onto the worksheet, so you don't have to keep selecting it, don't you ???

Upvote 0
You do know you can drag the colour pallete onto the worksheet, so you don't have to keep selecting it, don't you ???

Should have advised that this only works for 2003 or earlier....thanks to Microsoft enhancing our experience !!!

Upvote 0
Why don't you determine what cells need to coloured yellow by criteria, and we could than possibly automate it for you !!!
In other words, why do you make that cell yellow ?.....
Is it below a certain number ?
Does it have a certain text ?
Is it Bold or underlined?

Any of these could trigger the cell to turn yellow

BTW

Ok so let me think about that. First question I have for you is, Does excel not have a way to have 2 independent (Color Fills) I was hoping this was an easy fix. If not then let's see if we can go with your idea.

I have a list of 9000 numbers all going down multiple columns.

As I look down on column if I see the number go below -30 I need to high light that one number only to yellow. If I see the number continue down below -50 I need to high light that one number with green. The number will not always be -50 it might be -53 or -63 depending or not weather that's the closes number to -50. then as I'm looking down the same column of numbers I have a number plus 25 then I look to see if the numbers below ever reach a plus 15 or less. If they do I need to highlight the plus 25 or plus 26 etc to a yellow color and if the number goes below a plus 15 I need to color this number green. But this could also be a plus 14 or a plus 13 if a plus 15 is not there.
If the number is 25 or 26 etc and the number goes up to a plus 50 I need to color this number a yellow or a green depending on weather the number goes up to a plus 75 or not. If the number does not go up to a plus 75 then I would color the plus 50 with a green color. If the number does in fact go up to plus 75 then I would color the plus 50 with a yellow color and color the 75 with a green color. If however there is a plus 100 somewhere down the list then the plus 75 would be a yellow color and the 100 or 101 or 102 or 103 etc. whatever comes first would be a green color and the 75 would be yellow. So as I said it depends on the future number ahead will determine weather or not that particular cell is going to be green or yellow.

After knowing all this do you have some type of formula that can figure all this out. I was hoping it wasn't going to be this big of a problem.

I guess the main question I have first is (Can Excel 2010) give us 2 independant (Color Fills) So all I have to do is click on each color fill independantly On color fill being one independent color and the other color fill button being another independant color. This would double my speed of not having to switch the colors back and forth thousands of times.

thanks for any advice you can give me on this problem

Zotah

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back