How do I delete rows without deleting validation?

Missi Broussard

I have a long spreadsheet with multiple dependent lists. If a change is made to the spreadsheet such as deleting a row, the validation is removed. I have to re-do the validation each time I make a change. Is there a way to "lock" the validation so that whatever changes are made to the spreadsheet, the validation stays?
Thanks, and hope I'm using the correct terminology for all this!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Your terminology is great. AFAIK the validation will not persist.

If it initially extends for many, many rows maybe row deletion will still leave enough rows of validation. However, normal approach is so use program code (VBA) to re-instate/refresh data validation/formats/etc. Maybe also protect the worksheet to limit users's access to delete rows?

I'm assuming the ranges of data feeding into the validation list are somewhere safe - like on a dedicated (maybe hidden) worksheet, and your concern is with the cells that users enter data.

regards

Upvote 0
Thank you Fazza. I think limiting the user's access may be the best bet. I have very limited knowledge of VBA, although did use it successfully a few times. Thanks for your help!
Missi

Your terminology is great. AFAIK the validation will not persist.

If it initially extends for many, many rows maybe row deletion will still leave enough rows of validation. However, normal approach is so use program code (VBA) to re-instate/refresh data validation/formats/etc. Maybe also protect the worksheet to limit users's access to delete rows?

I'm assuming the ranges of data feeding into the validation list are somewhere safe - like on a dedicated (maybe hidden) worksheet, and your concern is with the cells that users enter data.

regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back