How do I extract a specific id from a discripton cell

JHO26

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an excel file with raw data pulled from a program that we use to document faults. The program generates a ID for each fault with date location, responsible dept, ect. Each row in the file is an entry. One of the columns is a fault description in which the cell of that row has a brief description of the fault. If the fault is due to incorrect assembly of a connector, the cell will identify the connector ID somewhere in the text. connectors are identified as "***DB**" or "***A1**". If there were multiple connectors bad there will be multiple connectors called out in the cell with the description. If there are no connector faults there will be no connector ID listed in the cell. How do I extract the connector ID (or multiple id's) listed to a new column so I can use the data to identify most commonly discrepant connectors

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Please use XL2BB to show us a sample data and mocked up solution. You will have better success showing us an example.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back