How do I highlight duplicates based on multiple columns and remove them?

StarCat

I am trying to tell the spreadsheet that if column G *and* column V are both identical to another row's column G and V, then the entire row is a duplicate and to highlight and delete it. I also want to record a macro of this process to apply to all spreadsheets.

Here are the tutorials I am looking at, but whatever I am doing is not working the way it is working for them.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464065
http://www.mrexcel.com/articles/duplicates-with-conditional-formatting.php

I am highlighting cell A2, and under Conditional Formatting, I select "Formula Is" =SUM(COUNTIF($G:$G,G2),COUNTIF($V:$V,G2))>1
Then I select the format as light orange text, but it is only highlighting A2....

That is as far as I have gotten, and I still do not know how to go about deleting the duplicate entries. I have also read there are issues with recording a macro when trying to find duplicates using more than one column in the formula, but I have not gotten that far so I can't test it.

As is likely evident in my formula and process, I am not very experienced with Excel. However, I am in desperate need of assistance with a solution.

Thank you for your help!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
To highlight maybe (assuming Excel 2007 or higher)

Select A2:V? (till the end of your data)
Use this formula
=COUNTIFS($G$2:$G$500,$G2,$V$2:$V$500,$V2)>1

Adjust 500 to your last row containing data

M.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.... With or without highlighting the data, I get the same result with that formula, which is that the highlight appears in only the first selected cell or row.

Also, I am using Excel 2008 for Mac, sorry..... (Will upgrade to 2011 for recording the macro)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back