How do I import my personal macro workbook to another computer?

SR1

Board Regular
I'm not sure if this hasn't been asked many times before, and if so apologies, but anyway I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way of importing the PERSONAL.XLS file with all the macros to another work computer or my home one which avoids the labour of having to copy & paste them individually from my flash drive or something similar.

I tried doing it a month or so ago by sending it to my e-mail address (File-->Send To-->Mail Recipient (As Attachment)) together with some Excel files I had been working on at the office, but at home it just comes out as a separate saved file and doesn't automatically come up when I open Excel in the form I have it at work (the macro workbook I get contains only macros I have created at home).

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
i think it usually sits in your XLSTART directory. I thought you should be able to copy and paste it into there.

If not you may need to create one first so as Excel recognises it. You do this by recording a simple macro and when the macro dialogue appears change the Store Macro In option to Personal Macro Workbook. This will then create one you can replace which I'm sure Excel should pick up.

Edit: You can only have one at a time so if as you say you already have one at home just paste the new macros onto it.

Dom

Upvote 0
You need to insert the file into your XLSTART directory, which on my computer is located at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART

it may have a different location on yours - search for XLSTART in folders & directories. Files in XLSTART are opened automatically when Excel is started.

Upvote 0
Edit: You can only have one at a time so if as you say you already have one at home just paste the new macros onto it.

OK, so if I saved the workbook I e-mailed to myself in XLSTART on my home computer what would happen to the macros I created at home? Would there be a problem given that (I think) one or two of them share the same keyboard shortcuts as the work macros?

Or can you save more than one personal workbook but just can't run them concurrently?

And while I'm about it, there isn't a way of importing the macro toolbar as well? (sorry that should have been in my OP....)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Search for a file ending in .xlb (ie its extension) on your works computer - this stores all the customisations you have made to your works computer. You could try copying this and pasting it into the same location at home, but I think you'd be best advised just to create it anew (as you would lose any existing home settings if you deleted the old .xlb).

Upvote 0
You can't have two files of the same name in a folder to begin with. Windows won't allow it. Anything you've already got at home would be lost if you rerplaced the file.

If I've got macro's in my work personal.xls that I want at home I literally just copy and paste the macro code into an e-mail and then paste it into my home personal.xls through the VBA editor.

If you want to disribute a macro with custom toolbars you might be better off creating an add-in to do it.

Dom

Upvote 0
Search for a file ending in .xlb (ie its extension) on your works computer - this stores all the customisations you have made to your works computer. You could try copying this and pasting it into the same location at home, but I think you'd be best advised just to create it anew (as you would lose any existing home settings if you deleted the old .xlb).

I haven't created any custom toolbars other than on my main work computer, so that might be the way to go. Thanks for the help anyway!

Upvote 0

Hi,

can any one help me. i am new to VBA. i created one dashboard which will open files in my folder and run macro. i want to share this to another system. i am sure it wont work bcz of path which i gave. can anyone help me on this by step by step how i make this file to use by my other friends as well. its quite important. please help me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kj9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back