How do I mark my post "solved" so I don't get ...

Instead, I was thinking that this issue could be solved (pardon the pun) programatically with a question ("Problem solved?") in a pop-up dialogue box (rather than a checkbox on the Post Reply form - which relies on the user seeing & going to it) presented to the OP when they submit any subsequent post to that thread. If they answer Yes then SOLVED could be added to the thread subject line. As this would force the OP to respond, I would expect a much higher strike rate with this method than anything else, and little - if any - downside.
I don't know if anything like that is even possible. We didn't design the software that we use for this forum (look at the very bottom and you will see: "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7").

Just like any other pre-packaged software, you cannot make it do anything you want, you are limited to the options it allows you to do. So while some people come up with a lot of ideas that sound really good, sometimes they just aren't possible or feasible.

I have used many other forums that deploy the same software, so do appreciate the point Joe4 is making.

Any chance MrExcel can suggest this change to the developer???

I am not so sure that your idea would have the intended result. Much of the time, if the question is "solved" in the eyes of the original poster, they will not be making any subsequent posts to that thread. Usually the only people who post back are those to say that it is solved or "thanks" anyway (we certainly encourage people to post back and let us know if something works out or not, and thanks is always appreciated also).

Any chance MrExcel can suggest this change to the developer???
To be honest with you, I don't think it is something that we would probably pursue at this time. Its not that we don't appreciate the suggestion. When you have a forum this large, there are obviously varying different ideas, suggestions, and viewpoints, so there is no way to please everyone all the time.

Through the many discussions we have had over the years, we (the Administrators and Moderators) are happy with the ways things are running right now. It may not be a perfect system, but things seems to be working pretty well.

But who is to decide if it's solved? One person may have posted it and a suggested solution worked, but someone else with a similar situation may not have the same result. For them it is not solved. The thread should remain alive.

There are several ways to find out if a thread is still active.
  1. Unread posts are in bold.
  2. The date of the last post for that thread is listed in the forum index.
  3. You can also click the little button next to name of the last person who posted. This will take you to the last post of the thread where you can read the last few posts and look for a thank you.
(((Evidently, I'm still learning how to use the forum. I thought I was at the end of the thread when I answered. I have some settings to adjust.)))

Last edited:
(((I thought I was at the end of the thread when I answered. I have some settings to adjust.)))
Settings to adjust? Or just take advice from your own point number 3 to go to the end of the thread? ;)

Yeah. I thought I was at the end of the thread. I was reading from the beginning and there was the Post Reply button right at the end of the posts. I had changed my Display Mode so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. It was an unfamiliar view.

Going to the last post works if you're goal is to go directly to the last post. I wasn't. I was reading the posts one by one and answered when I saw the button prompting me to reply. That would normally be at the end of the thread. Or is it at the end of each page in a thread?

Just checked. There's one at the bottom of every page.

Last edited:
As a sort of follow-up to this, is it actually possible to edit the "title" of the thread? Each post can have its own title, but I cannot find anywhere that would allow me to edit the thread's name. I made a typo in one and it will now be there forever?

G>

If it's really important, you can report the post and a mod may edit it for you.

Not that big a deal, but I thought I might be able to edit the title of threads I had started.

G>

You get a limited time to edit your threads - about 10mins, IIRC.

As it's Xmas - which one is it? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back