How Do I Match Excel Entries to Company Online Database?

bencar

Banned user
I got an excel sheet with 150,000 records. I need to match up each record with what we have on file in our online database. My job is to match the first 6 words in a cell to data in this online database. My job requires that I match each product in our inventory (in the spreadsheet) to products we have listed online. Doing this one by one takes forever, of course. How can I match the products in the spreadsheet to the products in our onine database rapidly without doing so one item at a time which takes forever??

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Can you give a little sample data?

Sure...

Say the cell in the sheet that I want to look up in our company database starts with: "panama 230 call log 33 code bluestar river". I want to match only the first 5 words of this cell to our online database. Again there are 150,000 entries and I need to match up thousands at once, not one at a time.

Please let me know. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
you can use a wildcard "*".

For example if "panama 230 call log 33 code bluestar river" is in cell A1, and your database is in cells B1:B150000.

=vlookup(A1&"*", $B$1:$B$150000, 1, false)

Upvote 0
you can use a wildcard "*".

For example if "panama 230 call log 33 code bluestar river" is in cell A1, and your database is in cells B1:B150000.

=vlookup(A1&"*", $B$1:$B$150000, 1, false)

You dont understand what I'm trying to say. I need to look up entries in our excel spreadsheet in our ONLINE DATABASE, not on an excel spreadsheet. What I want to know is how to look up the entries from our spreadsheet which contains 150,000 records and match them to those in our ONLINE DATABASE. But I want to know how to look these entries up by the hundreads, not one by one which takes forever.

Upvote 0
You have options here,

First, use plsql and query down the data from your online database in Excel Format (dont know which database you are using), and match those data with your spreadsheet data set, using Vlookup function as described above

Sencond, consult any relevant database developer to match your spreadsheet data set with online database. People here on this forum would give you Excel related solutions and formulas of your problem, not related to databases.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi !

=if(And(c11<time(18,0,0),c11>time(9,0,0))," accept ","not accept")
please let me know the mistake
the time should be accepted only when the time is greater than 9 am and less than 6Pm

Upvote 0
Hi !

=if(And(c11<time(18,0,0),c11>time(9,0,0))," accept ","not accept")
please let me know the mistake
the time should be accepted only when the time is greater than 9 am and less than 6Pm

What are you talking about??
</time(18,0,0),c11>

Upvote 0
You have options here,

First, use plsql and query down the data from your online database in Excel Format (dont know which database you are using), and match those data with your spreadsheet data set, using Vlookup function as described above

Sencond, consult any relevant database developer to match your spreadsheet data set with online database. People here on this forum would give you Excel related solutions and formulas of your problem, not related to databases.

I see.. I'll dive deeper into plsql. I bet only a database dev would know how this works. Do you suggest any DB dev forums out there cthat may help me?

Btw, would you know ho to use plsql to query the online DB into excel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back