How do I nest a MATCH inside a SEARCH?

jamieraitt

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

First post in here and new to Excel in general, so go easy! Also, if there is a simpler method of doing this then please tell me!

I have been given a spreadsheet which contains the finishing positions of several races in a season. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to do any analysis on in the current format, which is:

BAH MON HUN etc...
1st GLY SWF SWF
2nd NAG JEF BLI
3rd WHI BLI LAW
etc...

I'm trying to get it into a format like this:

BAH MON HUN
BLI 11 3 2
GLY 1 12 DNF
JEF 8 2 11

On the sheet I have been given, if a player has a DNF (Did Not Finish), they have an "x" in front of their abbreviated name. So if this is the case, rather than a finishing position being displayed, I need the cell to display "DNF".

The problem I am having currently, is that I am only able to get the SEARCH part of the formula to apply to one cell. The formula is as follows:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("x",'ResultsS8 '!C18)),"DNF",(MATCH("*"&$A$2:$A$24&"*",'ResultsS8 '!C:C,0))-1)

The MATCH part is working correctly, and the "DNF" displays when it should (if I remove the "x" from the front of the abbreviated name on the original sheet, the correct number displays on the new sheet). But I'm only able to get it working when referencing one cell at the moment (C18 in this instance). Am I able to nest the correctly working MATCH function within the SEARCH function? Or is there a better way of getting the same end result?

Many thanks in advance!

This one worked perfectly! When I used the second one, the numbers came up as "VALUE!" (would that be because of the &"*" after the A2 cell reference?), but I've checked this one in various places across the whole season and it all seems great. Thank you so much!
Sorry, I'd accidentally included both. Just to be clear, your first solution worked a charm, the second one showed "VALUES!"

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
As you saw from my post regarding the 2nd version, I didn't get any #Value! error. Did you change the input data? if so, I'd be happy to look at it again if you post it.

Upvote 0
your first solution worked a charm,
Yet you said ..
The "_" suffix means that the driver had been lapped in the race. This doesn't affect a driver's points for that race
and post #4 shows "16" for QAT in Monza and "12" for GRE in Hungary but post #6 (first solution) shows #N/A for both? (I believe that's why @kweaver posted a revised version)

Further, since driver MOR is listed in the 'New Results Sheet' table, if they had finished the race in Hungary, shouldn't they get a position in the results table (I assume position 13 because if they had finished they would have appeared above xTOW in ResultsS8?). kweaver's first solution would give them #N/A but second solution gives them a position

I tried a slightly different approach. Note that I have changed a couple of values (highlighted) in ResultsS8 to test what I think you would want in relation to the previous paragraph..
I also guessed that you would not really want all those #N/A values, though they are easily restored from my formula if required.

jamieraitt.xlsm
ABCD
1PositionBahrainMonzaHungary
21GLYSWFSWF
32NAGJEFBLI
43WHIBLILAW
54RAKRAIDOO
65SWFLAWEAR
76LAWRAKWIL
87RAIWILWHI
98JEFHWKQAT
109WILTOWRAK
1110HWKWHIRAI
1211BLINAGJEF
1312DOOGLYGRE_
1413EAREARrMOR
1514QATrERAxTOW
1615GREGRE
1716rERAQAT_
1817xTOWxDOO
ResultsS8

jamieraitt.xlsm
ABCD
1Driver Name BahrainMonzaHungary
2BEE   
3BLI1132
4BUL   
5DOO12DNF4
6EAR13135
7GLY112 
8GRE151512
9HWK108 
10HWT   
11JEF8211
12LAW653
13LIN   
14MRV   
15MOR  13
16NAG211 
17QAT14168
18RAI7410
19RAK469
20SWF511
21TOWDNF9DNF
22WHI3107
23WIL976
24WOU   
New Results Sheet
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:D24B2=IF(COUNTIF('ResultsS8 '!B$2:B$20,"x*"&$A2),"DNF",IFNA(MATCH("*"&$A2&"*",'ResultsS8 '!B$2:B$20,0),""))

Upvote 0
Yet you said ..

and post #4 shows "16" for QAT in Monza and "12" for GRE in Hungary but post #6 (first solution) shows #N/A for both? (I believe that's why @kweaver posted a revised version)

Further, since driver MOR is listed in the 'New Results Sheet' table, if they had finished the race in Hungary, shouldn't they get a position in the results table (I assume position 13 because if they had finished they would have appeared above xTOW in ResultsS8?). kweaver's first solution would give them #N/A but second solution gives them a position

I tried a slightly different approach. Note that I have changed a couple of values (highlighted) in ResultsS8 to test what I think you would want in relation to the previous paragraph..
I also guessed that you would not really want all those #N/A values, though they are easily restored from my formula if required.

jamieraitt.xlsm
ABCD
1PositionBahrainMonzaHungary
21GLYSWFSWF
32NAGJEFBLI
43WHIBLILAW
54RAKRAIDOO
65SWFLAWEAR
76LAWRAKWIL
87RAIWILWHI
98JEFHWKQAT
109WILTOWRAK
1110HWKWHIRAI
1211BLINAGJEF
1312DOOGLYGRE_
1413EAREARrMOR
1514QATrERAxTOW
1615GREGRE
1716rERAQAT_
1817xTOWxDOO
ResultsS8

jamieraitt.xlsm
ABCD
1Driver Name BahrainMonzaHungary
2BEE   
3BLI1132
4BUL   
5DOO12DNF4
6EAR13135
7GLY112 
8GRE151512
9HWK108 
10HWT   
11JEF8211
12LAW653
13LIN   
14MRV   
15MOR  13
16NAG211 
17QAT14168
18RAI7410
19RAK469
20SWF511
21TOWDNF9DNF
22WHI3107
23WIL976
24WOU   
New Results Sheet
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:D24B2=IF(COUNTIF('ResultsS8 '!B$2:B$20,"x*"&$A2),"DNF",IFNA(MATCH("*"&$A2&"*",'ResultsS8 '!B$2:B$20,0),""))
Ahh yes, I see what you mean. Yes they would still need a position and that wasn't showing correctly before. Thank you very much for this one. It has given positions for those with prefixes and suffixes, which is useful to see even if the points don't quite work in the same way. And I wasn't even aware of an IFNA function (like I said previously, very new to all this!) so thank you for introducing me to that as well.

I've tried to use all this in a Pivot Table to then make a Chart from that can display a driver's progress throughout the season, and I've had a couple of issues.

1. I'm having to put all the races into the Values Section individually, as that data is all columns. Not the end of the world, but it would be helpful if I could just put the whole season's races in there, then filter out if needs be (as I can with all the Driver Names). Is there a way of doing this?

2. Any driver that has a DNF or blank space (didn't attend) in any race displays a "0" in the Pivot Table, therefore sits above 1 on the chart, making many drivers appear much better than they actually were! Is there a way of either making sure a "0" appears at the bottom of my chart, or changing the "0" to another value?

I'm having issues with my XL2BB disappearing so I'm not able to paste that in there currently. I have taken a screenshot of the start of what I'm doing though if that helps.
Screenshot (2).png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back