How do I populate a field with the sum of a range of fields?

Selazul

I'm helping to edit an expense report sheet. I have drop down tabs to categorize the expenses, however I was instructed to find a way to have each grouping's sum total automatically repopulate in a category subtotals partition on the same sheet. I've looked at a variety of functions that only solve half of my problem, and I'm not quite sure how to link my solutions together.

CategoryTotal
Travel$100
Marketing$57
Travel$90
Postage$20
etc...=
Category Subtotals
Training
Travel(Sum totals of group repopulated here)
Marketing

<tbody>
</tbody>
I tried a =SUMIF(A2:A4,Travel,B2:B4) ... but for obvious reasons that didn't work. Is it due to the drop down tab? I have to submit this in tomorrow morning to my team and I'm wracking my brain for solutions.

I've summarized it to this but have to admit my skillset fails me at this point :(

:confused: :confused: When X = A Then the total of Y goes to B

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I'm helping to edit an expense report sheet. I have drop down tabs to categorize the expenses, however I was instructed to find a way to have each grouping's sum total automatically repopulate in a category subtotals partition on the same sheet. I've looked at a variety of functions that only solve half of my problem, and I'm not quite sure how to link my solutions together.

CategoryTotal
Travel$100
Marketing$57
Travel$90
Postage$20
etc...=
Category Subtotals
Training
Travel(Sum totals of group repopulated here)
Marketing

<tbody>
</tbody>
I tried a =SUMIF(A2:A4,Travel,B2:B4) ... but for obvious reasons that didn't work. Is it due to the drop down tab? I have to submit this in tomorrow morning to my team and I'm wracking my brain for solutions.

I've summarized it to this but have to admit my skillset fails me at this point :(

:confused: :confused: When X = A Then the total of Y goes to B

Travel needs to be "Travel", notice the quotations. You have to enter text within the quotation marks. Thus H2 should look like this:

=SUMIF($A$2:$A$6,"Travel",$B$2:$B$6)

It could also look like this =SUMIF($A$2:$A$6,"H1",$B$2:$B$6) if you want it to change even more dynamically. Note absolute reference so you can drag the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back