How do I reference a cell and use data validation?

nmc-timb

I have set up a "data" workbook which contains several worksheets. Each worksheet contains different data (all in same array format). I then have another "Input" workbook which uses data validation techniques to pull data (via drop down lists) from the "data" workbook. I have locally named the data ranges in the "data" workbook to accomplish this. One set of information I am pulling over has the cell format: ="Plate, 1/4 x "&E1&" (4x10)". Basically, I am trying to reference cell "E1" within the "Input" workbook so that when the value is pulled from the "data" workbook, it fills in with the contents of E1. It would look something like this: Plate, 1/4" x 3" (4x10), with 3" being the E1 value. Anyone got any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to the Board!

It's not really clear what you're asking. Can you post shots of your sheets (Data & Input)? You can use Colo's HTML Maker - the link is at the bottom of the page.

Smitty

Upvote 0
I downloaded Colo's HTML Maker and was unable to get it to function (it could not find library). I am still on Excel 97 if this makes a difference.

Basically I am pulling data from a cell in another workbook which has a cell reference embedded in it. When I pull it into the current workbook I want it to recognize the cell reference in the current workbook and fill the data in from that cell in the current workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back