How do I remove a drop down box?

rhenders

I have a spreadsheet that I did not create. I have removed the protection (no password was required). The spreadsheet has several drop down lists and I need to remove one. How do I remove a drop down list?

Thanks
rhenders

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Didn't work

I clicked the Data->Validation->"Allow any value". This did not help. there are no choices for the drop down box, but the button is still there. Any ideas?

Thanks,
rhenders

Upvote 0
Still no luck

I checked all the drop down boxes on this spreadsheet. After highlighting each one, I clicked on Data->Validation and made sure that Allow: showed "any value". The buttons still remain on the spreadsheet.

The only way I've found to remove the button so far is to select the cell and then use the Edit->Delete->Entire Column. This is painful, so I'm hoping a better way to delete just the button from the cell exists.

Thanks,
rhenders

Upvote 0
To select all the cells with data validation, if that's how the dropdowns were created then Try Edit>Goto...>Special and select Data Validation.

You should now be able to use watkins6878 suggestion.

Upvote 0
Hmmm

Hmmm. I tried the Edit->Goto...>Special and selected the Data Validation button. Some of the cells were highlighted, but when I tried the Data->Validation method previously suggested, it did not help. All cells with a drop down box already have "any value" selected, but the drop down boxes are still there.

Thanks for your persistence,
rhenders

Upvote 0
It sounds like the dropdowns were created from the controls toolbox. Open that toolbar and select design mode (looks like a ruler, pencil and architect's triangle). You should now be able to select the dropdown and delete it. Make sure you exit design mode afterwards.

Upvote 0
It also occured to me that there might be auto filters applied to the column headers - are all of these drop downs an the titles of a bunch of columns?

If so, then try going to DATA-Filter... - and uncheck autofilter.

Upvote 0
We Have a Winner!!

Wow! Design mode didn't help, but you were exactly right on the autofilters! Turning off the autofilter removed every one of the drop down boxes.

problem solved.

thanks!
rhenders

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back