How do I stop Excel from automatically adding a row to my table when I hit 'tab'?

diversification

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet I've designed that has one table that's only 1 row x 1 column (ie. the data is only 1 cell.) This cell will be overwritten by the user of the spreadsheet. When it's overwritten, and the user hits the 'tab' button to exit from the cell, the table auto-creates another row, which causes the other functions in the spreadsheet to spill. The auto-addition can be reversed with a quick Ctrl + Z, but the users of this spreadsheet are pretty far from tech savvy, so I'd rather just limit the spreadsheet from auto-creating that next row. Is there a simple way to accomplish this, so that when I share it with other users, it will discontinue that behavior?

Notably, this appears to be the default behavior when the 'tab' key is used to exit the cell in the bottom-right corner of *any* structured table. Hopefully this can be turned off or limited for a sheet.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I found that video too, but it doesn't accomplish what I'm after. I want it to NOT auto-create rows when I'm in the last cell of a structured table, and hit the tab button. The behavior still persists regardless of which autocorrect options I select / deselect.

Also, even if there was an autocorrect setting that would change this behavior for me, I don't believe those options follow the spreadsheet. In other words, if I change the options, I don't think that change will affect the sheet for others, but instead only for me. Please let me know if my assumption is incorrect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I think I found a solution. I selected the cells I wanted to allow editing on, and disallowed anything besides selecting locked cells. It prevents the cell selector from actually moving down when I hit the tab button, and therefore prevents things from breaking. Good enough.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmjmjmjmjmjm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back