How do I sum characters (like all "A's") in a colu

MariaKU

I know this is a basic question. Could you tell me how to use the sum function to add up how many of the letter A appear in a column. Example colum A reads: cell A1 is "A", cell A2 is "C", cell A3 is "D", and so forth. I need to sum each apprearing character (A-D for my spreadsheet) for each of 125 columns, quickly.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
ok, I'm thick

Could you give me the formula exactly, cause I've been playing w/ it for a while now? Thank you.

Upvote 0
No you're not thick - you just don't know yet.

Anyway the only way I know is to have a formula for each in four separate cells:

=COUNTIF(B3:B16,"A")
=COUNTIF(B3:B16,"B")

etc etc

HTH

Upvote 0
A way to make it slightly less work is to use a cell reference in the countif formula. So, for example, if you were trying to count the appearances of your letters in cells A1:A10, you could list your four values (A,B,C,D) in a column (say, d1,d2,d3,d4.) In cell e1 put the formula =countif($a$1:$a$10,d1). This will count the A's, as d1 has an A in it. Use fill down and the four totals will appear. Probably not worth the effort for counting four items, but definitely a time saver if you wanted to count a lot of different things!

The other approach is to use a pivot table - use the wizard, it's really easy, let's say that your column of letters had the heading 'Letters', put 'count of letters' as the data in your pivot table and 'letters' as the column heading.

Are you in education? I use this all the time to count up grade totals!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet which consist of both numbers and letters. The letters are "N" (north) "S" (south) "E" (east) "W" (west). I want my spreadsheet to be able to autosum the letters fro example all the "N" in my spreadsheet which are placed in different cells should be able to give me a number of how many "N" there are and the same with the other letters. Is there some way to calculate this?:confused:

Thank You....

Upvote 0
can you please help with this? if i have column a1 to a10 with letters as values, and i wanna have the total of these on colummn a12. how will make the formula?

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j

Upvote 0
can you please send me the answer to this email? i really do need this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back