How do I trust all files with macros that I've written?

Johnny C

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This may sound bizarre. I've written a lot of macro's in my time. Some I'm not proud of but some I am (the one that copied ranges charts to Powerpoint, the one that identified external sources in a file) but maybe not the one that on a 10,000th entry opened the mousedraw and asked for cheese to be put in it, or another that one the 10,000th entry bounced a smiley face around the screen for 10 secs.). Anyway, a lot of files I've written have macros. Excel has started telling me macros are disabled because 'The source of this file [me] is unstrusted'.
I'm fairly sure I'm not schizophrenic, and oddly, perhaps weirdly in Microsoft eyes, I trust myself. Except with naga chilli sauce but that's a different problem.
I know I can digitally sign a macro (involving a middle finger), but it seems I have to go through every folder I've had a macro in, add it to the circle of Trust (Microshaft Trust centre, within FBI remit, stick your badges where the sun don't shine, I'm sure you're monitoring MrExcel) Then go and digitally sign (middle finger) every spreadsheet.

I know MS want to kill Excel, but is there a simple way I can end this misery.

Dear Billy Goats. I will be dead shortly. Please let me live out my dying days without having to put my balls through a wrencher.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
This has nothing to do with MS wanting to kill Excel. VBA and code is a serious security concern, so there is a valid reason for it.
You "could" change the security settings to allow all Excel VBA code, but that is also a security concern, as you are allowing anyone's VBA code to run (and malicious code would not be "checked").

A better solution may be to move all your VBA code workbooks to a new folders, and set up those folders as Trusted Locations. Then anything in those folders will be trusted, so you don't need to update every workbook.

Upvote 0
I set my settings to trust all. It still doesn't trust any.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Right click on file properties and unblock file

Upvote 0
When I right click I don't get the 'Unblock' Option.

Upvote 0
I know MS want to kill Excel, but is there a simple way I can end this misery.
Is this correct?
1677664555837.png

Upvote 0
Blimey.
That is going to do people's heads in if rolled out corporately. People who know vlookups and can do pivot tables and charts and have inherited macros. Or who use external software that use Add-ins. Fine for big corps with IT departments but small companies with no Excel expertise?
I see a lucrative job opportunity

Upvote 0
I see a lucrative job opportunity
Or just set up trusted locations as suggested in post 2 (you only normally get a warning in the first place if the files have been downloaded from the internet or have been emailed)

Upvote 0
Hi Mark.
Lol '2003 or older' refers to me. I almost wish I was on XL2003 or older. Allowing people who have little knowledge of Excel to unwittingly create Split functions is at least a pain but also creating carnage. At least with CSR functions they couldn't enter them if they didn't know how.
And having to page down and page up to get values to refresh in small spreadsheets where Calculate times isn't a problem, what's all that about? I'd be sitting there with a page with some XLOOKUPs all returning zero and thinking how can that not possible work? open a new sheet and repeat and it works, go back to the old sheets and suddenly everything works. Plus getting the blackouts where the contents of cells you've changed just go black until PgUpPgDown

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back