How do you add a straight vertical line to a chart?

LostCause

Board Regular
Firstly, thanks for reading.

I wish to add a vertical line mathematically (without drawing it in) to the following chart.

The line I want to add is basically x = 40 (I've drawn it here).

I have trouble doing this because when I go to add series, the data it tries to plot it against is the x-axis.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hmm...

I can get the lines to appear no problem, but is there anyway to have all four in the same series order sequence?

Right now, if I click into series order, it only displays either the two vertical lines or the two sloped lines

Upvote 0
Only series of the same chart type and axis will appear in the series order list.

You could make the 2 line charts into xy-scatter charts also.

Why do you need to change the series order?

Anything to do with the legend or maybe the vertical lines appearing in front of the data lines?

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I wanted to import the chart into PowerPoint and stagger the animation of the various lines. It didn't like this because it grouped them in pairs rather than one group of four. For example:

1) Red Sloped line
2) Brown Vertical line
3) Green Sloped line
4) Yellow Vertical line

In PowerPoint it would only let me go in order of sloped lines then vertical.

I have solved the problem for this specific situation (by using drawn lines in Excel) so am not in need of further aid. I've only highlighted the problem for discussion!

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Using drawn lines is not a very nice solution. The lines may move, while using a series keeps the lines in place.

Your chart looks like it would be well suited to an XY chart, as Andy has suggested. It has real numerical data along the horizontal axis. When all series are XY types, you'll be able to reorder them as needed.

Upvote 0
Thanks

What I did worked for the particular instance I needed it to work for. In future I'd use the method you propose.

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back