How do you aggregate the dates in an excel chart?

sethspearman

Hello,

I have a simple spreadsheet with dates in a column and a numeric value in another column. This data has been collected every day for a year.

I want to create a line chart out of these two columns with dates on the x-axis and the number as the data point for my line.

I want this same data source to show charts for daily, weekly, and monthly.

Can I create three separate charts and will the chart aggregate the data for the weekly and monthly versions or do you have to do the aggregation in the source before creating the chart.

If you can do it in the chart directly can you tell me how? I can't figure it out?

Seth

ChrisM

I'm not positive, but I don't think so.

Due to your followup question I'm guessing you haven't used a pivot chart before? It's not a compromise solution, it will do exactly what you want and look exactly the same. The only difference is you build a pivot table based on your data set, then the pivot chart pulls from the pivot table.

Since your data set is a nice tidy two column range, this whole thing should be nearly invisible to you.

sethspearman

Thanks for your answer...I am very familiar with pivot tables. I love them but my question can almost be summarized...do I have to use a pivot table. I think the answer, based on your response, is yes.

Seth

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jsdk

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...