How to add "empty" text to a cell already containing text?

MikeO

Board Regular
I don't think my title describes what I'm trying to do all that well so here is a more detailed description

In Column A, I have a list of people's names in the form of first letter of first name + last name (ex - Bsmith, MJohnson, AWilliams)

I have a number of sumproduct formulas throughout my spreadsheet that look at these names as part of the formulas.

However, some of the people on the list are only part time for the role I am analyzing. I would like to denote a "(Backup)" next to their names without changing the actual names in the cells so I don't have to rewrite all of my Sumproduct formulas.

What I normally do with text is go into Format - Cells and go down to custom and add a "backup" to the end of the cell so it would look like General "backup". But this seems to only work if what's in the cell is a number. When it's text like it is here, the "backup" doesn't show up in the cell.

Is there a way to add text to a cell that actually is just superficial so my formulas still only look at the cell as a name in the form of Bsmith?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
you would have to put quotes around the text in the custom format, but I don't believe the sumproduct will see that in evaluating the contents

Upvote 0
That's the thing. I have quotes around the text but it only works if what's in the cell is a number and not text.

To test this, I created a list of 5 cells - some containing numbers and some containing words. I then formatted the cells putting a "test" with quotes in the format and only the cells with numbers added the "test" to the cell.

Upvote 0
you will probably need to create a formula in a blank cell

=A1 & " backup"
copy this down and then you can do a copy - paste special value back over the original text

Upvote 0
That doesn't work - it views the cell as both the original text plus the (backup). There might not be a way to make this work without modifying all of the formulas

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back