How to add event labels in charts?

hizzle

For the life of me I just can't figure this out... (Excel 2003)
What I have is weekly sales data for a product for a couple years (a quantity for each Sunday). I also have press release titles and dates they were published.

What I am trying to do and I can't quite figure out, is how to make a chart (line graph) of the data, and then have the title of each press release on the chart and point it to the data line of quantities at the appropriate date (which may or may not be a Sunday. Essentially so I can see if the press releases have any effect.

I don't know if there is a way to do this, and have the chart be able to be updated so I can just keep adding weekly sales data and also press releases.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Put the press release title and date in the appropriate cell in a column adjacent to the one plotted in the chart. Now, use an add-in like Rob Bovey's XY Chartlabeler to associate this new column as the source for the data labels for your chart.

Upvote 0
Very helpful.
One additional question I should have noted - would you happen to know any way to "tie" the event label (aka a press release) to the data point by creating a line between the two? The press releases have bit longer names (though I could shorten them if there is no solution) so it would be great to be able to move the label but still indicate to what data point it is referring.
Thanks much!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, no, no leader lines except in a pie chart.

You could force the label into multiple lines with ALT+ENTER. For example, to put "This is a long, long, long, long, event label" on two lines, enter in the cell containing the event label: This is a long, long, long, ALT+ENTER long, event label ENTER

hizzle said:
Very helpful.
One additional question I should have noted - would you happen to know any way to "tie" the event label (aka a press release) to the data point by creating a line between the two? The press releases have bit longer names (though I could shorten them if there is no solution) so it would be great to be able to move the label but still indicate to what data point it is referring.
Thanks much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back