How to allow Autofill dropdown selection to cells above or below on a protected sheet.

SWHarmon79

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a workbook that is for internal estimating. The workbook itself has a large amount of formulas and tables that I don't want the user to be able to screw up. I have added protection through VBA to lock the workbook upon open with the below macro

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim sht As Worksheet

'Loop through each Worksheet in ActiveWorkbook
  For Each sht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
  'Password Protect Current Sheet
      sht.Protect Password:="W3lcome2019", UserInterfaceOnly:=True, AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True
  'Enable Group Collapse/Expand Capabilities
      sht.EnableOutlining = True
Next sht

If ThisWorkbook.Name <> "Estimate Template.xlsm" Then Exit Sub

Call Start_Estimate_Msgbox

End Sub

I also have an admin tab that has protect and unprotect buttons with the below macros

Code:
Sub Unprotect_Workbook()

'To Turn Off screen updating at the start of code. This stops the screen flashes while the code runs.
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Dim sht As Worksheet

'Password UnProtect Current Sheet
      sht.Unprotect Password:="W3lcome2019"

Next sht

'Return to starting sheet
      Sheet33.Select

'To Turn on at the end of the code.
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Code:
Sub Protect_Workbook()

Dim sht As Worksheet

'Password Protect Current Sheet
      sht.Protect Password:="W3lcome2019", UserInterfaceOnly:=True, AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True
  'Enable Group Collapse/Expand Capabilities
      sht.EnableOutlining = True
Next sht

End Sub

My issue now is that there are instances where the user has to enter a lot of identical information and would greatly benefit from being able to use autofill. The user can use autofill on blank cells but there is a dropdown and a dependent dropdown on each row. The user isn't able to use autofill on the dropdowns alone. The sheets only have the cells that have formulas protected and in the above macros I have allowed some other needed functionality but am unable to figure out or find a solution through the forum search or Google. I discovered a workaround that works everytime but isn't what I want. The workaround is as follows

The sheet in question has columns A:O and the sheet is broken into identical sections that are 24 rows long. Column A is a blank cell that the user enters in their description, Column B is a dropdown and Column C is a dependent dropdown. If the user doesn't use Column A then they can select the row needed and Columns A:C and are able to use the Autofill handle. This works but if the user does use Column A like they should every time then when using the above method it also obviously fills column A's content down as well. Then they have to just delete Column A data and enter the correct data. This is inconvenient and I would like to find a real solution.

I tried to include as much info as possible but if more is needed let me know. Thanks for any and all help.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back