How to apply several payments on one invoice and get a balance from previous payment

DianeBBB

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In a sales journal spreadsheet with multiple columns, date, invoice number, amt of inv, etc., I want to incorporate the cash receipts by adding columns for date rec'd, check number, amt rec'd, etc. It works fine when there is one payment, which I apply to the original invoice row. The question is that some payments are done in up to 8 installments. How do I apply these payments to original invoice row without adding too many columns? If added on a new row, how do these installments add up and get deducted from the balance amount?

1574705718390.png

Attachments

• 1574705614398.png
    1574705614398.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 27

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I would think that you could use SUMIFS get what you need. There are too many unknowns for me.

When you enter the payment lines, are you specifying the invoice number on each payment line? If so, then you can calculate the balance easily. One part of the formula is to Sumifs the amount of the original invoice. The other part requires some anchoring to get it right. Let's assume the Invoice # is in column E, Invoice Amount is column H, and Amt Paid is column I. In cell I2, the formula would be: =sumifs($H$1:$H2,$E$1:$E2,E2)-sumifs($I$1:$I$2,$E1:$E2,E2)

Yes, I anchored the headers. Yes, I know you could use SUMIF instead; I tend to use SUMIFS all the time so I don't have to remember the difference between them. This will give you a running balance with each new payment line giving the remaining amount.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeffrey. Trying to work it out with your suggested formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back