How to assign add-in code to a control button

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been testing a macro that I have assigned to a Button control in an .xlsm workbook. Now that OI have it working, I'd like to move it to an add-in module to other workbooks can use it. But once I move it to the add-in module, where I have lots of UDFs, the Assign Macro dialog doesn't offer the add-in as an option.

What do I have to do to get any workbook to be able to access this macro in the add-in module from a button control?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hey, does this answer your question?

StackOverflow

Summary,

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Application.Run "MyAddIn.xlam!Sample()"
End Sub
It sounds like the answer is that there is no way for a control in a workbook to directly access a macro in an installed add-in module. The work-around is to add a macro to a module in that workbook that then accesses the macro in the add-in. And this means that there is no way for a regular (.xlsx) workbook to access an add-in macro. It will have to become a macro-enabled (.xlam) workbook. Correct?

(sigh) M$ST giveth once and M$FT taketh away twice.

Thanks for the pointer.

Upvote 0
You can do it, but you need to specify the full path & macro name like
'C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns\myadd-in.xlam'!macro1

Upvote 0
Solution
I assume you meant single quotes around the path, then "!" and the macroname, right?

I put this simple macro in a module in my add-in

VBA Code:
Sub AddinControlMacro()
MsgBox "This code is in an axd-in module!", , "AddinCongtrolMacro"
End Sub

Then I added a button control to a workbook sheet (.xlsx), right-clicked the control, and selected "Assign macro...". When the Assign Macro dialog came up, I pasted this string into the Macro name: field.

'C:\Users\JM\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns\My Add-Ins.xlam'!AddinControlMacro

The Macros in: field has All Open Workbooks.

When I click on the control, I get this error message:

1629432954127.png

If I reopen the Assign Macro dialog, I see that the entire path has been deleted, leaving only the macro name.

Also, why am I not able to move the cursor within the Macro Name field. Backspace works, but not the left/right arrow keys.

Upvote 0
I assume you meant single quotes around the path, then "!" and the macroname, right?
That's right.

If I reopen the Assign Macro dialog, I see that the entire path has been deleted, leaving only the macro name.
I get the same thing, but I've found that if you don't enter the full path it won't work.

I can only assume you get the error because of your macro security settings.

Upvote 0
Here are what I assume are the macro security settings:
1629519065217.png

I pasted into the Macro name field of the Assign Macro dialog what I posted above:
'C:\Users\JM\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns\My Add-Ins.xlam'!AddinControlMacro
When I click on the Button control, I get that same error message. When I reopen the Assign Macro dialog, I see:

1629519354265.png

What more can I do?

Upvote 0

Also, why am I not able to move the cursor within the Macro Name field. Backspace works, but not the left/right arrow keys.

Same behaviour on both accounts here as well.

It is working for me unless I am doing something wrong in the first place (first time using an add-in). Checked both with and without a space in filename.

Only difference in settings is "Trust access to the VBA project object model" is unchecked.

1629540244826.png

Maybe repair Office installation?

Upvote 0
Not sure why you are getting the warning message as your macro security settings are fine.

Upvote 0
Not sure why this wasn't working for me bdefore, but it's working now. Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back