How to automatically hide/unhide columns based on criteria with VBA

WentzelN94

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I used the following code to automatically hide/unhide rows based on conditions but do not have the skills to also apply this to columns.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim r As Long
    Dim m As Long
    If Not Intersect(Me.Range("B7:B200"), Target) Is Nothing Then
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        Application.EnableEvents = False
        Me.Range("AZ:AZ").EntireRow.Hidden = False
        m = Range("AZ" & Me.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
        For r = 12 To m
            If Range("AZ" & r).Value = False Then
                Range("AZ" & r).EntireRow.Hidden = True
            End If
        Next r
        Application.EnableEvents = True
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End If
End Sub

So what I need is that I am using column C to T for my data. In row 210 I have a formula that if D5 is empty it should return a False. If all shells from D5 to T5 is empty then only column D should show. When D5 is populated with a value then column E should unhide and so on until D5 to T5 is populated and all columns is unhided.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi
I used the following code to automatically hide/unhide rows based on conditions but do not have the skills to also apply this to columns.

Dim r As Long
Dim m As Long
For r = 12 To m
End If
Next r
End If
End Sub

So what I need is that I am using column C to T for my data. In row 210 I have a formula that if D5 is empty it should return a False. If all shells from D5 to T5 is empty then only column D should show. When D5 is populated with a value then column E should unhide and so on until D5 to T5 is populated and all columns is unhided.

Thank you
Hi,

To extend the code to hide/unhide columns based on your conditions, you can modify the existing code as follows:

Public Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim r As Long Dim m As Long If Not Intersect(Me.Range("B7:B200"), Target) Is Nothing Then Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.EnableEvents = False Me.Range("AZ:AZ").EntireRow.Hidden = False Me.Range("C:T").EntireColumn.Hidden = True 'Hide all columns initially If Range("D5").Value = "" Then 'Check if D5 is empty Range("D:D").EntireColumn.Hidden = False 'Unhide only column D Else For i = 1 To 17 'Loop through columns C to T If Range("D5:T5").Cells(1, i).Value <> "" Then 'Check if the cell is not empty Range(Cells(1, i + 2), Cells(200, i + 2)).EntireColumn.Hidden = False 'Unhide the corresponding column End If Next i End If Application.EnableEvents = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End If End Sub

This code will check if cell D5 is empty and if it is, only column D will be unhidden. If D5 is not empty, it will loop through columns C to T and unhide the corresponding column if the cell is not empty. Note that I have assumed that you have data in rows 1 to 200.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Hi

Dim r As Long
Dim m As Long
For r = 12 To m
End If
Next r
End If
End Sub

Thank you
Hi I used the following code to automatically hide/unhide rows based on conditions but do not have the skills to also apply this to columns. Public Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim r As Long Dim m As Long If Not Intersect(Me.Range("B7:B200"), Target) Is Nothing Then Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.EnableEvents = False Me.Range("AZ:AZ").EntireRow.Hidden = False m = Range("AZ" & Me.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row For r = 12 To m If Range("AZ" & r).Value = False Then Range("AZ" & r).EntireRow.Hidden = True End If Next r Application.EnableEvents = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End If End Sub So what I need is that I am using column C to T for my data. In row 210 I have a formula that if D5 is empty it should return a False. If all shells from D5 to T5 is empty then only column D should show. When D5 is populated with a value then column E should unhide and so on until D5 to T5 is populated and all columns is unhided. Thank you

Hello,
To achieve your goal of automatically hiding/unhiding columns based on the values in row 210, you can modify your existing VBA code to include the following:
  1. Replace the existing range "B7:B200" in the first line of the code with "C210:T210". This will trigger the code to run whenever a change is made to any cell in row 210.
  2. Add a new loop to hide/unhide columns based on the values in row 210. Here's an example code that you can use:
vbnetCopy code
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r As Long, c As Long
Dim m As Long, n As Long

'Check if the changed cell is in row 210
If Not Intersect(Me.Range("C210:T210"), Target) Is Nothing Then

'Hide all columns initially
Me.Range("C:T").EntireColumn.Hidden = True

'Find the last populated column in row 210
n = Me.Cells(210, Me.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

'Unhide columns D to the last populated column
For c = 4 To n
If Me.Cells(210, c).Value <> "" Then
Me.Columns(c).EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
 Next c

End If
End Sub

This code checks if a change has been made to any cell in row 210, and then hides all columns initially. It then finds the last populated column in row 210, and unhides columns D to the last populated column based on their values.
Please note that this code assumes that the values in row 210 are either blank or non-blank. If you have other conditions that determine when to hide/unhide columns, you may need to modify the code accordingly.
I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
@WentzelN94 @GSP75
When posting vba code in the forum, please use the available code tags. It makes your code much easier to read/debug & copy. My signature block below has more details. I have added the tags for you this time. 😊

Upvote 0
Hi I used the following code to automatically hide/unhide rows based on conditions but do not have the skills to also apply this to columns. Public Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim r As Long Dim m As Long If Not Intersect(Me.Range("B7:B200"), Target) Is Nothing Then Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.EnableEvents = False Me.Range("AZ:AZ").EntireRow.Hidden = False m = Range("AZ" & Me.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row For r = 12 To m If Range("AZ" & r).Value = False Then Range("AZ" & r).EntireRow.Hidden = True End If Next r Application.EnableEvents = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End If End Sub So what I need is that I am using column C to T for my data. In row 210 I have a formula that if D5 is empty it should return a False. If all shells from D5 to T5 is empty then only column D should show. When D5 is populated with a value then column E should unhide and so on until D5 to T5 is populated and all columns is unhided. Thank you

Hello,
To achieve your goal of automatically hiding/unhiding columns based on the values in row 210, you can modify your existing VBA code to include the following:
  1. Replace the existing range "B7:B200" in the first line of the code with "C210:T210". This will trigger the code to run whenever a change is made to any cell in row 210.
  2. Add a new loop to hide/unhide columns based on the values in row 210. Here's an example code that you can use:
vbnetCopy code
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r As Long, c As Long
Dim m As Long, n As Long

'Check if the changed cell is in row 210
If Not Intersect(Me.Range("C210:T210"), Target) Is Nothing Then

'Hide all columns initially
Me.Range("C:T").EntireColumn.Hidden = True

'Find the last populated column in row 210
n = Me.Cells(210, Me.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

'Unhide columns D to the last populated column
For c = 4 To n
If Me.Cells(210, c).Value <> "" Then
Me.Columns(c).EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
 Next c

End If
End Sub

This code checks if a change has been made to any cell in row 210, and then hides all columns initially. It then finds the last populated column in row 210, and unhides columns D to the last populated column based on their values.
Please note that this code assumes that the values in row 210 are either blank or non-blank. If you have other conditions that determine when to hide/unhide columns, you may need to modify the code accordingly.
I hope this helps!
Hi

I tried the code but it does not seem to work as it does not hide any columns.

I have a formula in row 210 so the worksheet_Change will not work as I VBA does not recognise a formula change as a change event.

But I have tried to change the code to detect any changes in row 5 to initiate the macro then but no luck.

Upvote 0
Hi

I found a solution for my problem but it seems to lag a bit with the coding on the columns.
Is there maybe a solution for the coding to run more efficient?

Thank you

VBA Code:
    Dim r As Long
    Dim m As Long
    Dim c As Range
            For r = 12 To m
                End If
            Next r
        End If
        If Not Intersect(Me.Range("C5:T5"), Target) Is Nothing Then
            For Each c In Rows("210:210").Cells
                c.EntireColumn.Hidden = (c.Value = "False")
            Next c
        End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back