How to calculate percentage if we have different rows for same resource

Davesh Garg

Board Regular
Hi,

Can someone please help in identifying the percentage formula. Table is below:

1st Criteria
Here if we are taking out the percentage of different resources then they are the sum of their unique (Actuals / NAH)
For Eg: If we require the percentage, then it should be the sum of
A. Actual of resource "A"+Actual of resource "B" + Actual of resource "C" + Actual of resource "D" + Actual of resource "E" = 32
B. NAH of resource "A" + NAH of resource "B" + NAH of resource "C" + NAH of resource "D" + NAH of resource "E" = 52

Percentage = A / B = 32/52 = 61.54%

And if we add up the columns then our percentage is not same. It is Sum of Actuals (61) / Sum of NAH (108) = 56.48%

2nd Criteria

If we need to calculate the percentage for VP whose value is X, then the correct percentage for unique resource is =32 / 52 = 61.54%
however, if we add the rows whose VP's value is X, then our calc is showing = 42/71 = 59.15%

Request if anyone can provide a formula which can be evaluated as per the criteria selected in column G2:I2 from data A1:E12

Let me know if anyone require any other information.

Thanks in advance.

ABCDEGHIJ
1VPClientName of resourceActualNAHVPClientName of resource%
2X1A69XFormula
3Y2A69
4X3A69
5X1B58
6Y2B58
7X3C410
8Z4C410
9X5C410
10Y6C410
11X3D710
12X1E1015

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
what is NAH and VP ?

if fred scores 80% and nancy scores 90% and fred got 8 out of 10 right and nancy got 18 out of 20 right then the total rights = 26 and total questions = 30
then average rights is 86.67 NOT 85 UNLESS you choose to average percentages as they stand...

It is not clear to me what you want.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. For your questions above, NAH stands for Net Available Hours and we require to calculate: Utilization = Actual / NAH

However, one resource can touch different clients and these clients can be owned by different VP's. So in order to calculate the correct utilization of all the unique resources we require some formula so that what we choose from column G2:I2, Utilization will be calculated as per the above formula for unique resources.

Let me know if you require any further information.

Thanks,
Davesh

Upvote 0
Hi,

Can anyone please help on this, as I am still stucking in excel and not able to complete my work due to this. I don't want macro, what i require to suffice my result as per the criteria with the help of formula.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Dave

Upvote 0
I suspect you are not getting replies because it is still unclear what you want. Having said that comment on this

VPClientName of resourceActualNAH VPClientName of resource%
X1A69 X Formula
Y2A69
X3A69
X1B58
Y2B58
X3C410
Z4C410
X5C410
Y6C410
X3D710
X1E1015
select a VPX
select a client1
select name of resourceB
percentage utilisation
formula
=100*(SUMPRODUCT((A2:A12=$G$15)*(B2:B12=$G$16)*(C2:C12=$G$17)*(D2:D12))/SUMPRODUCT((A2:A12=$G$15)*(B2:B12=$G$16)*(C2:C12=$G$17)*(E2:E12)))
you have 3 variables - vp, client, resource so you need more than one table to analyse for all 3

<colgroup><col span="2"><col><col span="2"><col><col span="10"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi Sir,

Thanks for the formula. This certainly helps me to find out the correct utilization, in case I am updating all the criteria vp, client, resource.

Now my requirement is like if I am not updating any criteria, then also my formula should work. Like, suppose i am not updating resource and client, in this case the formula should work for the given requirements.

For eg:

Above VP: X
Client : (blank)
Resource: (blank)

Then all the Actual and NAH for unique resources whose VP is X should be calculated.

Thanks for the support once again.

Regards,
Dave

Upvote 0
VPClientName of resourceActualNAH
X1A69
Y2A69
X3A69
X1B58
Y2B58
X3C410VPX
Z4C410
X5C410Sum of ActualName of resource
Y6C410ClientABCDEGrand Total
X3D710165 1021
X1E1015364717
5 44
Grand Total125871042
by using a pivot table you can do the analysis by VP
I have selected VP "X"
then for every combination of client and resource name
the above chart gives actual hours
easy to put in NAH as well
then use a calculated field to do percentages
ALTERNATIVELY
have a different sheet for each VP
and use sumproduct approach

<colgroup><col span="2"><col><col span="4"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hello Sir,

I can create the pivot. I know that we can also update the same by creating the Pivot. However, in my excel sheet i want to use some formula for this.

This formula can update my graph value, otherwise, i need to use macro for updating the pivot every-time i require the data as per the selected criteria.

Is there any formula that can be driven and after using it, we can update the utilization value for every unique resource.

Thanks,
Dave

Upvote 0
What do you want to plot on your graph ?

I think you need a separate table for each VP, and using sumproduct approach means the tables AUTOMATICALLY update whenever new data is added. Charts of course can be created by using pivot charts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back