how to change text in formulas automatically?

jci_vlt

Hi there,

i created an excel database with all employees and how much they sell during the month. each emplyee has his own worksheet and the first worksheet is an overall summary of how they are all doing.

my question is, i want to change one of the employees name on the overall summary worksheet, but then i would need to change all the names in the formulas and the name of the employees worksheet. is there anyway this can be done automatically?

eg, if i changed jane smith in the first worksheet to bob smith, is there anyway that i could rename jane smith's worksheet and all the formulas referencing her name to bob smith?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
If you change the name of the worksheet first, the formulas will change automatically to reflect that.

Then change the person's name in the first worksheet.

Upvote 0
You can also highlight the area that contains the formulas and use the Edit-Replace function to change the name.

Upvote 0
Hi,

If you put some work into your workbook and select one cell in each worksheet to be the name cell and refer all formulas to this cell then this code will name the worksheet accordingly to that cell and you only have to change the name in one cell as you assign a worksheet to a new member.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target = "" Then Exit Sub
If Target.Address <> "$A$1" Then Exit Sub
ActiveSheet.Name = Range("A1").Text
End Sub
Change $A$1 in the above code to the cell you will assign. If you later change the cell you need to manually change the code.

Right-click on the tab - View code and past the code in the editor.

Hope This Helps

RAM

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back