How to change The @ (at sign) in an Excel Sheet

ExcelGlenn

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have downloaded the 2021 Major League Baseball Schedule which was created in excel. I am changing some of the Team Names to correspond with my other Baseball Data Bases. When a team is playing away from home, the team they are playing against is shown as, for instance, @Ana. I want to change @ana to @Laa. However, the Find/Replace gives me an error because of the @ sign. Is there a way of changing these cells without creating a Module?? I am using Excel 2010.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
You could put an apostrophe (') in front of the @ sign in the "Replace with" field. That will signal to Excel to treat the entry as Text. The apostrophe will show in the Formula Bar if you select the cell but Excel will ignore it if you do any manipulations with the text in the cell.

Note: I am assuming your original values are in cells formatted as Text.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply.

I changed the Sheet from General to Text. I get the error - ""Excel cannot find the data you are searching for".
I used '@Ann in the Find field and tried both '@Laa and @Laa without the ' in the Replace field but still received the same error.

Upvote 0
Do you have tables on the sheet where @Laa and @Ann are referring to columns within that (those) tables? If not, how did you get those values into the cells without raising an error?

Upvote 0
Do you have tables on the sheet where @Laa and @Ann are referring to columns within that (those) tables? If not, how did you get those values into the cells without raising an error?
No Tables. The Spread Sheet came from a website with the @ signs already there. I just keyed in a blank cell - '@Laa and then copied it into one of the cells with @Ann in it and it worked. So maybe the answer is to write a VBA. What do you think??

Upvote 0
In that case, my gut tells me Excel thinks those cells are Hyperlinks. If you select one of them and right click it, do you get an item in the popup menu offering to remove the hyperlink?

Upvote 0
A right click shows me the word hyperlink at the bottom of a long list but not the option to remove it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back