how to concatenate if text starts with qvs* only for multiple columns

lunaryi

Hello,
I’m stuck in a situation where I need to be able to use VLookup to pull information based on text strings that all start with qvs. I’ve used normal concatenate across the 5 columns in question but it returns too much information and my vlookup formula errors. Is there a way to write a concatenate formula that will only pull texts from each of those five columns only if the text in that cell starts qvs* ?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Use the IF function (IF( condition, value_if_true, [value_if_false] ))

Use the MID or LEFT function to grab the first 3 characters MID( text, start_position, [number_of_characters] )

Combine these with CONCAT and you will get a messy formula, but it should work...

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestion. I input =concatenate(if(left(AA3,3)=qvs),”AA3”,””). Excel came back with a name error: is possible can you point to where it went wrong?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Put quote marks around "qvs", remove quote marks for AA3

BTW, don't know why you're using CONCATENATE, you have a Single value...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks jtakw, I was using concatenate because I’ll have multiple columns to include but I wanted to see if the base formula returned the value I expected for one column first.

I am still receiving the name error, full formula is listed below:

=Concatente(IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No3]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No3]],""),IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No5]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No5]],""))

tha k you for your help

Upvote 0
You are missing an "A" in concatenate

=Concatenate(IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No3]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No3]],""),IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No5]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No5]],""))

Upvote 0
It may be so

=IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No3]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No3]],"") & IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No4]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No4]],"") & IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No5]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No5]],"") & IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No6]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No6]],"") & IF(LEFT([@[PFS_Problem No7]],3)="qvs",[@[PFS_Problem No7]],"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back