How to convert big hexadecimal numbers to decimal format

popcornrulez

I need to be able to convert big hex numbers into decimal numbers. The problem that I have with this is that when you put a hex number that includes letters excel considers it text. And if the number is too big, you can't convert it to decimal format, and when you try to, it comes up with the #NUM! error. Here's an example number and if someone can help me figure out how to convert this number to decimal format INSIDE excel, then it should solve my problem.

Number: "78652385098375A879FF747C9847A00" without quotes

popcornrulez

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
i need to be able to convert big hex numbers into decimal numbers. The problem that i have with this is that when you put a hex number that includes letters excel considers it text. And if the number is too big, you can't convert it to decimal format, and when you try to, it comes up with the #num! Error. Here's an example number and if someone can help me figure out how to convert this number to decimal format inside excel, then it should solve my problem.

Number: "78652385098375a879ff747c9847a00" without quotes

popcornrulez

hex2dec ("78652385098375a879ff747c9847a00")

Upvote 0
According to help you are limited in the number of digits you can provide as an argument for hex2dec. Why do you need a decimal number here? I can never understand what people are up to when they have things like this going on - I say if you are working in hex then work in hex! It's also a little curious why you have 31 digits instead of 32. Are you missing one?

This also appears to be an astronomically large number (30 digits or so, unless my math is bad, which it probably is since I'm rotten at hex). Again, begs the question what are you up to?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back