How to convert text '$1,200.01' to numeric value '1200.01

Mleeds

I have a whole column with hundreds of numbers in that text format which I need to sum but I can't because it's in text format. So how do I convert it to numeric values. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi Mleeds, welcome to the MrExcel forum.

You could try coercing the text to values. Assuming there is only a single currency symbol then this approach may work.

Excel 2007
IJ
7$1200.001200
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
J7=--MID(I7, 2, 255)

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0
I have a whole column with hundreds of numbers in that text format which I need to sum but I can't because it's in text format. So how do I convert it to numeric values. Thanks.
Select the column, call up the Text To Columns dialog box (Data tab, Data Tools panel, Text To Columns button) and as soon as the dialog box appear, click the Finish button.

As a side note, you can sum the column of text numbers without converting them to real numbers. Let's say your text numbers are in cells A1:A200, you can get their sum with this formula...

=SUMPRODUCT(0+A1:A200)

Upvote 0
I'm using Excel 2013.

What does the '--' double minus in front of the function do?
Also, to make it work I had to change the formula requested to =--mid(a1, 1, actual length of character field in a1, ie. $1.23 is =--mid(a1,1, 5). Using =--mid(a1, 2, 255) as you suggested resulted in #VALUE and does not work. Thank you.

Hi Mleeds, welcome to the MrExcel forum.

You could try coercing the text to values. Assuming there is only a single currency symbol then this approach may work.

Excel 2007
IJ
7$1200.001200
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
J7=--MID(I7, 2, 255)

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi

In this example the double negative coerces text to a value, you can also +0 as in Ricks SUMPRODUCT or *1.

If you start at character 1 in your string you will return $1.23, which cannot be coerced using that method, you need to start at position 2. There then lies the issue of negative numbers so perhaps you'd need to use 3 etc. If you need to sum a range then I would suggest going with Ricks option.

Here is an example based on your data in your last post

Excel 2007
AB
1$1.231.23

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=--MID(A1, 2, 255)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rick, it did not. I wish I could but I don't know how to post a snapshot of part of my screen in Excel 2013 to show you.

As an example, in cell A1 and A2, I have:
$1.23
$4.56
=sumproduct(0+a1:a2), results in #VALUE error in A3, note that the values in A1 and A2 are left aligned because they are character values. Thanks for the quick replies.

Upvote 0
Dave3009, it did not work for me because there is a complication and I think I know what the problem is. The text characters in the Excel field were cut n' pasted from an online source, a bank statement on a website (presumably HTML). So while it is non-numeric when pasted into an Excel chart, it's actually also a non-character (maybe it's in HTML?) which is why your formula did not work. On the other hand, it works when I enter the value `$1.23 in Excel (note the back apostrophe).

Upvote 0
Hi Rick, it did not. I wish I could but I don't know how to post a snapshot of part of my screen in Excel 2013 to show you.

As an example, in cell A1 and A2, I have:
$1.23
$4.56
=sumproduct(0+a1:a2), results in #VALUE error in A3, note that the values in A1 and A2 are left aligned because they are character values.
It works for me (which is why I posted it). Did you, perhaps, get your values by copy/pasting them in from the web? Playing a hunch, try this...

=SUMPRODUCT(0+SUBSTITUTE(A1:A2,CHAR(160),""))

Upvote 0
Hi

If you look at the links in the signature blocks you will find tools for posting your sheet.

But you're correct, after I copied that data the SUMPRODUCT doesn't appear to work

Excel 2007
AB
1$1.23#VALUE!
2$4.56

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=SUMPRODUCT(0+A1:A2)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back