how to convert text month into real date

mart_mrexcel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a column with month name as text (3 letters). e.g Jan, Feb, Mar. How can i convert it to real date (1st day of the month of the current year).

Jan - should be 01-Jan-2022

Thanks

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Upvote 0
e.g. A1 i have 01-Jan-2022) and and i want to use that year to your formula =DATEVALUE(1&A2)?
Is this a different question? You said originally that you just had a 3 letter month name to convert.
Can you clarify?

Upvote 0
Is this a different question? You said originally that you just had a 3 letter month name to convert.
Can you clarify?
The same question...what i mean is that i want to use the Year in 01-Jan-2022 to covert (e.g.) text Feb into 01-Feb-2022

Upvote 0
01-Jan-2022 is a date (or possible text) and Feb is a text value, but in any case is different to "01-Jan-2022". How can they both be in A1? :confused:

Upvote 0
01-Jan-2022 is a date (or possible text) and Feb is a text value, but in any case is different to "01-Jan-2022". How can they both be in A1? :confused:
Sorry to confuse you... Actually the 3 text month (Jan, Feb) in column is to be converted in a real date with First day of the month but depends on the year that is in a cell value. the formula you gave is perfectly ok. i just wonder what if i want to make it as year 2022, 2023 instead of 2021.

In your formula i add 1 in the year to make it year 2022 or 2 to make it 2023. I was wondering that instead of adding number in the year i want to use the year in a certain cell value (it can be placed anywhere)

=DATE(YEAR(DATEVALUE(1&A2)+1,MONTH(DATEVALUE(1&A2)),DAY(1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back