How to copy conditional formatting formula rule with relative cell references

niccc

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I will try to explain this as easy as I can. 🤣

I am hoping to get some assistance on how to copy conditional formatting formula rule to cells below with their respective cell references. I am currently building a spreadsheet to track any engagement/ conversations done with employees. Column A contains employees full names. Column B contains employees department details. Columns (C to I) include every day of the week (Sunday to Saturday) and a number 1 or 0 below them. Number 1 means the employee is working on that particular day and 0 means they are not. Column J has a drop down list of every type of engagement/conversation. Column K has a drop down list including every day of the week to illustrate which specific day the engagement/conversation was completed on.

I would like Cells in Columns C to I to change colour when a value in their respective cell from column K is selected. For example, if in Cell K3 'Sunday' is selected, then C3 would turn green. This would indicate in both Cells K3 and C3 that an engagement/conversation has been completed on Sunday.

I am currently using the formula/rule =$K$3="Sunday" for cell C3 and it seems to work. However, when I copy the same formula/rule to to other cells with Format Painter, the formula doesn't change the relative reference. For example, =$K$4="Sunday" for cell C4, =$K$5="Sunday" for cell C5, etc...

I could add this formula/rule to every cell one by one but it would be time consuming. Considering there are 150+ employees.

Is there another formula I can use to get this done?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Image temp.JPG
    Image temp.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 35

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Please use this image as reference. Disregard the previous one. :)

Attachments

• Image temp.JPG
    Image temp.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
Select the range of cells you want conditionally formatted in column C, e.g. C3:C100. Add a new rule using the formula

=$K3="Sunday"

Notice there is no $ in front of the 3. That will allow the formula to automatically adjust to 4, 5, 6, etc. down the column.

Upvote 0
Select the range of cells you want conditionally formatted in column C, e.g. C3:C100. Add a new rule using the formula

=$K3="Sunday"

Notice there is no $ in front of the 3. That will allow the formula to automatically adjust to 4, 5, 6, etc. down the column.
Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back