How to Count the complete Numbers in a single cell

azad092

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Dear members
I want to count the complete numeric values from a single cell, I am using below formula but it not work perfectly as I want
for example in Cell A1 I enter data as under
1 ali, 2 asad , shan, 10 aslam
in the above data 1,2,10 is used as the serial numbers
=COUNT(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},)))
by using above formula for above data the result should 3 but the result is different
If anybody knows the correct formula please guide me

In case each number is separated by a comma OR a space (the illustration shows each number is separated by a space), then to return the count of numbers in a cell refer below:

26Aug19.xlsx
AB
21 ali, 2 asad , shan, 10 aslam3
4shan1
51 ali, 2 asad , shan, 10, aslam3
Sheet41
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B5B2=IF(A2="",0,MAX(SUM(--ISNUMBER(--TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A2,","," ")," ",REPT(" ",LEN(A2))),(ROW($1:$255)-1)*LEN(A2)+1,LEN(A2))))),1))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

This formula works well for both comma and space separators. Also works well where the number appears in the end, for ex. "1 ali, 2 asad , shan, aslam 10".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
This formula works well for .. comma ... separators. Also works well where the number appears in the end,
Sure, but so far we have not seen or heard mention of any such examples.

If such variations are possible then perhaps we should allow for any separator, embedded numbers in text, beginning or end, and not fail for subsequently inserted rows or until the string is much longer.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B6B2=MAX(COUNT(MID(A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2))),1)/NOT(ISNUMBER(MID(A2&".",ROW(INDIRECT("2:"&LEN(A2)+1)),1)+0))),LEN(A2)>0)
A6A6=TRIM(REPT(" 10 aslam",100))

Upvote 0

I have specifically provided for comma or space separated individual numbers which also consider the last number. Any number combined with text or special characters has not been considered. The string "1 ali, 2 asad , shan, 9aslam 10" returns the count of 3 and considers the numbers 1, 2 and 10 but does not consider 9. Because the OP's illustration displays both comma and space separators, I have expanded presumption basis this, and specifically stated so. Thanks much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back