How to count the number of conditional formated cells in range

Double99

Hi all,

I have a range of cells which contain personal ID numbers. The range goes from column A1:E500. I hightlight the range and the select the 'conditional format' function of 'Highlight Dulipcates'. It finds and highlights 26 duplicate values across the range. I only know its 26 because I've had to scroll through and manually count the highlight cells which the conditional format has found. My question is this... Is there a formula that will count the number of highlightes cells for me?... It's annoying that I have to count by hand from a spreadsheet and I'm sure there must be away round this. Greatful as always Cris

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
The best I can offer is to go to Conditional formatting and select Manage rules.
Go to the top of the dialog box and select This Worksheet.
A selection of ranges appropriate each formula present will be available eg B2:B20.
Therefore you count will be 18 formatted by that formula.

Of course that can become more complicated when two ranges may overlap because of one or more formulae.
Sorry I can't do better.

Upvote 0
I have a range of cells which contain personal ID numbers. The range goes from column A1:E500. I hightlight the range and the select the 'conditional format' function of 'Highlight Dulipcates'. It finds and highlights 26 duplicate values across the range. I only know its 26 because I've had to scroll through and manually count the highlight cells which the conditional format has found. My question is this... Is there a formula that will count the number of highlightes cells for me?... It's annoying that I have to count by hand from a spreadsheet and I'm sure there must be away round this. Greatful as always Cris
I don't know of a way to do this with a formula nor a UDF (User Defined Function), but I can give you a macro that I think should work...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Sub DuplicateCount()
  Dim Cell As Range, DupeCount As Long
  With Range("A1:E500")
    For Each Cell In .Cells
      If Cell.DisplayFormat.Interior.Color = .Cells(1).FormatConditions(1).Interior.Color And _
                Cell.DisplayFormat.Font.Color = .Cells(1).FormatConditions(1).Font.Color Then
        DupeCount = DupeCount + 1
      End If
    Next
  End With
  MsgBox DupeCount
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Hi all,...My question is this... Is there a formula that will count the number of highlightes cells for me?...

Short answer - no there isn't a regular formula to do this..

However, there are other ways you could do this, using maybe COUNTIF()

If there will be different duplicates, then maybe...
=--countif($A$1:a1,a1)>1
Copied down
repeat as needed
Then just count the 1's

Upvote 0
Rick, yup, I got that, that's why I added - "repeat as needed"

maybe this, instead?
=--countif($A$1:E1,$a$1:E1)>1
ARRAY entered, using CTRL SHIFT ENTER, not just enter

Upvote 0
@Rick, comment #3 .

Rick I conditionally formatted a few ranges, somewhat ad hoc, in the within rows 1 to 20 across columns A to E.
When I ran your macro I was faced with a Runtime "9" error emanating from your IF line.

Upvote 0
@Rick, comment #3 .

Rick I conditionally formatted a few ranges, somewhat ad hoc, in the within rows 1 to 20 across columns A to E.
When I ran your macro I was faced with a Runtime "9" error emanating from your IF line.

What version of Excel are you using?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back