How to COUNTIF a name in specific range ?

Schturman

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi to all
How I can COUNTIF for a range of cells that related to a specific day? For example the green range is a range related to a Friday and I need COUNT a name "אוקסנה" in this range.
The total range from A3 to J126, formula need to detect every Friday and count a specific name in this ranges (in this case range of Friday is B7:J10) like:
Code:
=COUNTIF(RANGE OF EVREY FRIDAY,"אוקסנה")
1665420946210.png

Thanks

OK,

That's much better!!

Anyways, as dates in column A are merged, you will need another column to have all the rows to know if they are friday, I am taking column DD.
(the other alternative is to unmerge all the days, and have every cell showing the date)

DD1:
Excel Formula:
IS THE ROW FRIDAY?

Formula in DD3:
Excel Formula:
=IF(A3="",DD2,IF(WEEKDAY(A3,1)=6,TRUE,0))
And copy down up to DD130

then in L33:
Excel Formula:
=IF(L3="",0,SUMPRODUCT(($DD$3:$DD$130)*($B$3:$J$130=L$3)))

Drag as required.

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
OK,

That's much better!!

Anyways, as dates in column A are merged, you will need another column to have all the rows to know if they are friday, I am taking column DD.
(the other alternative is to unmerge all the days, and have every cell showing the date)

DD1:
Excel Formula:
IS THE ROW FRIDAY?

Formula in DD3:
Excel Formula:
=IF(A3="",DD2,IF(WEEKDAY(A3,1)=6,TRUE,0))
And copy down up to DD130

then in L33:
Excel Formula:
=IF(L3="",0,SUMPRODUCT(($DD$3:$DD$130)*($B$3:$J$130=L$3)))

Drag as required.
Hi.
I'm sorry for the late answer (too much work and no time). Yes, your method working good, Thanks !
But now I decided to use 2 criteria's for count, not only name. That mean Name and empty cell or any number. If it see the word "ביטול" (canceled in Hebrew) near the name, it will not count this name.
In this case I needed to use a manual ranges - 3 times for each Friday. It gave me a very long formula (see pic), but it work very good. I don't know how to do it better...

1667575154131.png

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Wow,
That's a big, long formula...

Try instead:

Excel Formula:
=IF(L$3="",0,SUMPRODUCT(($DD$3:$DD$130)*($B3:$H130=L$3)*($C3:$I130<>"CANCELED")))
Replace the word "CANCELED" with the translation.

and let me know if it worked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow,
That's a big, long formula...

Try instead:

Excel Formula:
=IF(L$3="",0,SUMPRODUCT(($DD$3:$DD$130)*($B3:$H130=L$3)*($C3:$I130<>"CANCELED")))
Replace the word "CANCELED" with the translation.

and let me know if it worked.
It working perfectly, thanks! But I forgot to say it should count also the same name like in L$3 but with symbol "*" or "^".
For example in L$3 = Sarah, but in the ranges it can be Sarah or Sarah* or Sarah^ it should count all of them... When I use COUNTIFS in my formula it work with &"*" for L$3.
I tried to add to your formula &"*" to L$3, but it not worked...

Upvote 0
Will it be OK if it counts all Names starting with the name is L3??, if so, this will work:

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(($DD$3:$DD$130)*(LEFT($B3:$H130,LEN(L$3))=L$3)*($C3:$I130<>"CANCELED"))

So, if L3="Diana" then "Diana", "Diana*", "Diana^", "DianaXX", "Diana 4", "Diana?????" or any other that starts with "Diana" will be counted.

Upvote 0
Will it be OK if it counts all Names starting with the name is L3??, if so, this will work:

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(($DD$3:$DD$130)*(LEFT($B3:$H130,LEN(L$3))=L$3)*($C3:$I130<>"CANCELED"))

So, if L3="Diana" then "Diana", "Diana*", "Diana^", "DianaXX", "Diana 4", "Diana?????" or any other that starts with "Diana" will be counted.
Very cool, thank you !!!
Exactly what I needed !

Upvote 0
Another question....
Why you separated formulas ?
Can it be somehow used in one-line formula ?

Upvote 0
Another question....
Why you separated formulas ?
Can it be somehow used in one-line formula ?
What formulas are Separated?
There is only one formula:

If you are referring to the formulas in Column DD, theose are because your cells in Column A are merged, and you need to check every row, if you wanted not to have formulas in column DD, then you would have to unmerge the cells in AA and have ever row with its corresponding day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What formulas are Separated?
There is only one formula:

If you are referring to the formulas in Column DD, theose are because your cells in Column A are merged, and you need to check every row, if you wanted not to have formulas in column DD, then you would have to unmerge the cells in AA and have ever row with its corresponding day.
Ahhh... I understand...
Ok, no problem... Your way still is better than my. Every year I need to update my formula (ranges) because Friday moving and now with your formula I don't need to do this :)
Thank you for your help !

Upvote 0
Hi again.
I have another question...
I have another table that should SUM a hours weekly for a specific name.. Something like we did for Friday, but here I need hours weekly.. That mean it should detect a range for every week in a month.
In my original file I created ranges manually for every week... And I need update it every year...
1667669652432.png

Now I created another column like we did for Friday:
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR($A3="",$A3="* חודש הבא *"),AG2,IF(AND(WEEKDAY($A3,1)>=1,WEEKDAY($A3,1)<=6),TRUE,0))
It show me correctly TRUE for each week and zero for Saturday.
What formula I can use to SUM hours weekly (separately for each week) for specific name ?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back