Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hi

I'm new to this forum so hi :) from me and I hope you are fine.

I'm using a spreadsheet which uses an excel template. I've saved the templates as book.xlxt and sheet.xltx to my %appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART folder so that this spreadsheet always creates the same template worksheet when I insert another one. The template works absolutely fine when I load excel and the template loads great when I create a new worksheet.

Anyway, sometimes I just want to use a blank worksheet without all the template formatting getting in the way - just to make seperate notes on something (I work in IT so sometimes there is a big error stack that I want copy and paste without clustering up my template)

For example, if I create a new worksheet then the template loads up as expected and if I just want a blank worksheet to play about on (to make seperate notes), I have to highlight all the cells to delete them, re-add all the borders to the cells and resize the cell widths and heights.

Anyway know how to override the template so I can just insert a blank worksheet whenever I need one please?

Kind Regards
Matt

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
You could create another template, and put it into your templates folder. By default, this is \Documents\Custom Office Templates, but I change it in File > Options > Save to \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. This template is completely blank, and you should call it something like blank.xltx.

To insert a blank sheet instead of your default sheet, right-click on a sheet tab, select Insert..., then select the blank template from the dialog.

InsertSheet75.png

If you're okay with VBA, you can run this from the Immediate Window to insert a new blank sheet:

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add Type:=xlWBATWorksheet

or this to create a new blank workbook:

Workbooks.Add Template:=xlWBATWorksheet

Upvote 0
Solution
You could create another template, and put it into your templates folder. By default, this is \Documents\Custom Office Templates, but I change it in File > Options > Save to \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. This template is completely blank, and you should call it something like blank.xltx.

To insert a blank sheet instead of your default sheet, right-click on a sheet tab, select Insert..., then select the blank template from the dialog.

View attachment 63583

If you're okay with VBA, you can run this from the Immediate Window to insert a new blank sheet:

ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add Type:=xlWBATWorksheet

or this to create a new blank workbook:

Workbooks.Add Template:=xlWBATWorksheet

Hi John,

I never really took much noticed of the Insert template window before , but I couldn't get the Blank.xlst to show in that window. I've definitely saved Blank.xlst in the correct folder - I even restarted MS Excel but the blank worksheet template didn't appear.

But then using your advice as the spring-board I then found something which worked - from File Explored I copied/dragged the blank.xlst into the Insert dialogue box within Excel, and it now appears in there totally fine all the time - wow this is great!!

I'm happier now - much happier that I have a convenient way to add in a blank worksheet - this is great - thank you again.

Kind Regards,
Matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back