How to create a csv file w/double quotes around each field

ryderse

Hello,
Everyday we generate daily reports in Excel 2000 and then save them as .csv files. These .csv files are then re-named to .txt files because our partner requires these files to be .txt files but still maintain the comma separated fields. Re-naming the .csv files to .txt does not appear to be a problem.

The problem we are having is that each comma separated field must also be encased in double quotes in the .txt file. I am having difficulty in finding an automated way to produce these double quotes in the .txt file. I can not go through the file and add them manually as these files are huge, approx 160K+ lines. The files are so big that I have to split them up into at least two files because of Excel 2000's line limit (anyway around that?).

For example, this is how one row of the .txt file would look when done properly. Note that each comma separated field has double quotes inside them, even the empty fields.

"08/08/2006 12:00AM to 11:59PM","XYZ Inc","123456","Store #3456","1","DURHAM","NC","20060808","21:17:29","000034567"," ","123456"

Please note that these are not my requirements but rather our partner's so I have no flexibility there. Ideally I think it would be best if this could be done from Excel but perhaps there is another answer.

Does anyone know of a simple method for accomplishing this? If so, please let me know. That would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Might i suggest a program called CSVEditor :D I stopped using excel to manipulate my csv's simply because of thier sheer size... yes a 300k record csv isnt a uncommon thing for me.. This program will take care of your double "" issue without a problem.. :D

Upvote 0
Awesome! I will give that a shot and let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate the info.

Thanks!
Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back