How to create a single-tailed Gaussian distribution

Clinto

I need to create a data set consisting of 100 data points. The data set needs to be a single-tailed Gaussian distribution (with the tail below the median), with the data points in random order (i.e. not sorted from high to low, or low to high or anything like that).

The median value of the Gaussian distribution will be 100 and the standard deviation will be 3%. (It would be nice to be able to create the data set with any median and standard deviation.) The data values will be rounded to the nearest integer.

I found a website that generates data sets with Gaussian distributions after I specify median and standard deviation, and it will create a data set with any number of data points that I want and in random order. But it generates two-tailed data sets - with values above and below the median.

Two possible solutions to this:

(1) Can Excel generate a data set per my requirements? (I actually need to generate several such data sets with 100 data points in each data set.)

(2) I can use the website I found to generate a two-tailed data set with 200 data points, and then import the data set into Excel. Are there steps I could do in Excel to delete the data values above 100 (above the median) and compact the remaining data points into a single column in Excel, preserving the random order?

I'm using Excel 16.49 on a Mac.

I posted this question on Reddit and on ExcelForum.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I posted this question on Reddit and on ExcelForum.
Thanks for letting us know, but can you please post links to those threads, as per board rules. Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for letting us know, but can you please post links to those threads, as per board rules. Thanks
Sorry about that. I read the rules and I guess I missed the requirement to post links. Here they are:

It looks like I'm making headway from responses on the other forums. I think this question is about 95% answered, and with the next response from either of those forums it may be 100% answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarahmed1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back