How to create add character to differentiate goods while doing inventory

thorito

Hi, I need to create a macro that when is enabled, it automatatically adds a charather as the leading character preceding the serial number for the items to be scanned (i.e.- a "u" for used item). When the macro is disabled, it should not add any charater. Any help?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Welcome to the Board!

You'll need to give some more details. For starters, how is your scanned information making it into Excel? And how does the code know what character to add to any scanned item?

Upvote 0
Hi, thank you for your reply.

This macro is required to differentiate the used ("u") vs new articles in a store while we do inventory count and we scan the article ID with barcode scanners. The used articles are in different bins, but when we do the inventory count its very tedious to add a "u" as the leading character and for such reason we are looking to add a button or somenthing that adds the leading "u" while the operators scans the bins of used product. Once he finish with that section he can then disable the button of used product and continue to scan the rest of the articles without a leading "u".

I hope this clarifies more my requirement

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope this clarifies more my requirement

Not really.

To restate, can you tell us how your barcode equipment interacts with Excel?

How does the data make it in, what format does it come in (multiple cells or a single one), etc.?

Without specifics no one's going to be able to help out. Think of this as trying to explain what you're doing to someone who has never even seen your process. I understand what you're trying to do, but you need to detail how that process makes it into Excel.

Upvote 0

Ok, let's try this again with more details.

We do inventory cycle counts once a week and to do so we scan the barcode of each article in the store using a barcode reader that feeds Excel via serial port interface. The data is entered in a specific column (I.e. column A) and every time a new article is entered it goes to the next row in the same column.

We have three categories of products as follows:

New
Used (u)
Defective (d)

When we scan the product ID of all items on the above categories, we need to find a a way to automatically add a specific character to the product ID to be scanned for each category. For example if we are going to scan the used articles, we would like to click in a button that automatically tells excel to capture the next product ID to be scanned with a leading "u" for used. Once the inventory count for used product is completed, the operator should turn off the button and then if more items are scanned then Excel keeps data without affecting the next product IDs.

A similar procedure should apply when the operator decides to scan the inventory of defective product but in this case the scanned items should include a leading "d".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back